How hard is it to set up a grow room? Should i wait on the carbon filter?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by FatSlob, Aug 6, 2013.

1. I want to go get my grow room setup as soon as i harvest my outdoor plants. I already got the cash but i can't afford to leave my plants alone this close to flowering so i'll wait it out.

I'm gonna have 2 1000w HPS lights. I'm growing in coco canna. 3 gallon buckets (is that too big/little considering its coco?).

The thing is i know nothing about carpentry or electricity. I know how to grow weed though. So would i be able to set up my grow room alone? Like is it hard? Or is it just run an extension cord and plug everything up? I know a licensed electrician whose cool but at the same time hes a fuckboy and i don't really want him in my house.

Also will just fans be okay with two 1000w? Or would i need an air conditioner? And can you guys suggest some easy to use/straight forward carbon filters for 100 dollars or less? I can spend more if need be. But the hydro shop i'm going too doesn't have carbon filters so idk how much they are supposed to cost. Not looking to spend a ton.

2. If you are running a set up big enough to need 2 1000watt lights and you really want a carbon filter, you had better be prepared to open up your wallet a bit more then that. The size of filter is completely dependent on how many square feet your room is.There are also different levels of quality in carbon filters and the type of carbon they use so do some research.

Asking how hard it is to set up a grow room is like asking how hard is it to fix my car? The answer is totally in your mechanical ability. If you are running 2000watts  just in lighting an extension cord will not even be close to enough. In asking that I would say yes you will want to get an electrician. Remember, better to pay a little money now then have a fire and have to replace everything. If you are setting up a grow that large make sure you dont half ass it you are working with alot of power there and also alot of heat.

3. #3 Original Past, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    I've spent the last 1.5 years building, tweaking, dialing in, and remodeling a grow room.  I  partitioned my garage, hooked up AC, dehumidifier, ran natural gas lines for CO2 production, fresh water lines so I get tap water in the room, and an automatic drain, so I can pump my reservoirs out the drain into the lawn.   Not to mention all the lights, fans, pumps, hydro supplies, reservoirs, hardware and parts.

Note:  I do this because I love to grow.  LOVE to grow!  I don't provide to anyone but myself and my wife, and we stay within the bounds of the laws for my state.  If I wasn't restricted to a max number of plants (15 per person, so 30 total) I would have built the room differently.  It's designed to work around the laws of my state. 

I live for DIY, and can do anything/everything.  I also ran 5 dedicated circuits to the room (one for AC, one for dehumidifier, two for lights, and one for everything else (fans pumps, etc.)  I did have a professional hook up the power, but I assisted on it.  I did everything else myself.   

I can tell you that building a grow room may not be for the faint of heart. I stopped counting how much I spent on the room after I surpassed the $10k mark several months into the project. I'm nearly done with the first complete remodel of the room. 

A carbon filter for under $100... You can probably find one, but it won't work for you.  I use Phresh brand carbon filter, and it works like nobody's business.  If controlling smell is important to you, then you must invest in a proper system.  

NO, you do not want to run 1k lights off an extension cord.  

I would suggest setting up a grow tent, and start small.  Work your way up to a room over the period of a couple years.

Cheers,
    Past

4. That's great advice right there. You can start small and grow some very good crops.My first year I had one t_5 bad boy  in a 3x4 room.I did invest in  6" in line fan.I grow in soil(Root organic original) I bought the 3 part fox farm line of nutes  and made my own filters.It worked great for that room in fact I still use that room lol.But i to love to grow I have another room 12 x 20 and Don't even know how much I've invested lol