Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How fucked is my friend?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by brodog, Dec 6, 2015.

1. I don't know if this is against the rules so lets say its a hypothetical.
    What would happen to my friend if he got caught selling a large amount weed. Large as in like over a pound, a large amount of money in cash and a personal amount of a hard drug all in his college dorm room? He was charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell and possession of a narcotic among other similar but lesser charges. It was in a state with harsh laws and his family is pretty rich and I'm sure can get him a good lawyer. Hes a close friend and I'm concerned what might hypothetically happen to him. Basically do you think he will definitely go to jail or could a good lawyer get him off easier and also what are his future prospects?

2. From the sounds of it he's defiantly going to jail if not prison, a lawyer can only do so much and it's gonna be hard to paint him as a model citizen with so much illegal shit he got caught with. Good luck either way to him bro

3. sounds like your buddy will be heading upstate.

4. From what is described, they certainly have enough to charge delivery, and since it was at a school, they may even be able to allege a drug-free-zone as proscribed by statute.

What difference does a DFZ enhancement make you ask? Depends on where you are. But let's use my State as a quick example. The conviction WITH the DFZ enhancement still in place means a minimum of five years to even BECOME eligible for parole consideration. In other words, if you have a five-year sentence that might otherwise have been eligible around the eight-month mark, it means you will do the entire five day for day. Read that again...FIVE YEARS, DAY FOR DAY...MINIMUM. Oh and no eligibility for mandatory supervision (a release mechanism that can exist when flat time and good time equal the sentence of record).

Personal levels of the harder narcotics is almost always felony weight, especially if there are signs of trafficking/delivery.

IF he is fortunate and has an attorney that can swing the deal, he might get out of it with probation that includes a programming component in an in-patient sort of program. Screw the probation up and he is going to prison...and if he continues to use, then he WILL be going to prison at some juncture because, contrary to the claims of some, probation officers are not all stupid and some judges actually believe in revoking probation where someone has basically extended their middle finger to the court and the second chance they were given.

5. How rich. Money solves all problems. Had a client who's kid got caught with all kinds of really bad stuff. Dad worth $150 million, not even a slap on the wrist. Daddy took his credit card for a few weeks.

6. #6 s A t I v A, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015
    first offense? suspended sentence, probation, drug program, community service, but no jail time.... bill is in the mail.

7. i'd say federally fucked

8. The Feds are gonna look at him like he's fucking El Chapo. Even getting caught with an ounce is risky business. Unfortunately he is fucked. Even George Zimmerman's lawyer couldn't help him.

9. #9 brodog, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
    One thing I forgot to mention is he has been arrested for possession once before I'm sure that slightly changes things. and no hes not that rich to the guy who said something about 150 million

10. Since he didn't learn from his first mistake, I doubt this will be his last mistake regarding drugs. I predict prison, if not this time, then the next. Though money and a good lawyer could negate that.

11. Bad place for legal advice especially since each jurisdiction will handle the case differently. Talk to a real life attorney face to face. A bunch of stoners is not where to get legal advice from. Nobody can tell you what's going to happen. Just add unnecessary worry

12. If it's not your first offence you will most likely be going to jail.

13. #13 lessthanjeezy, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
    That changes things big time. First offence, they may try to be easy on him, the judge will likely throw the book at him to make a point since he was already arrested for something similar.

14. If he is rich enough it will be dropped to a slap on the wrist and 2-5 years probation and some house arrest in there
    And thats if he was smart and didn't talk to the cops until his lawyer was present

15. Dude he's fucked. Idk all the details but 10/10 done. He's gonna end up selling to a cop or something.

16. Depends on the state and how bad the prosecutor wants to screw him. I have a friend that got raided last year. They found a few ounces, bags broken down for sales, cash, a pistol, and a fully operational small grow room ( 6 to 12 plants). He got a lawyer and ended up getting a few charges tossed and did 120 days plus 3 years probation.

17. Could be anywhere from a few years in prison to a few years of probation. Either way it looks like his partying days are over for a while, which is the real punishment as far as I'm concerned.

18. Was it first offence, though?

19. It sounds like it probably was. That makes a world of difference

20. No it wasn't. He is far from a career criminal but he had been arrested a couple of other times on small charges like possession and DUI.