how fast do you read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by greendragon756, Jul 25, 2012.

1. how fast do you read?

i just finished the 350 page book and i only pulled it off my bookshelf this morning. and the kicker is i only read it on the bus so i only had about 1 1/2 hours of reading time, so 350 pages in 1 1/2 hours:hello:

2. I read very fast. I have finished books that were over 500 pages in a day. I try not to do it now, because when I do I tend to miss out on some things in the book.

3. depends on the density of the material and the level of comprehension you want to attain.

Reading comprehension is an interesting field of study in educational psychology, there is a lot of info out there on it.

In my line of work I do a ton of reading. In the peak season, I can be expected to read about 300-400 full-print periodical pages a day, regularly, and am expected to have near complete comprehension. Thankfully that only last several weeks over the year.

There a lot of techniques you can use to increase your rate of reading and maintain your comprehension.

When it comes to leisure reading, I tend to read on the slow side. I like to submerge myself in the atmosphere, the setting, internalize the dialogue, etc.
    Some of the more challenging narrative styles almost demand this level of slow-paced reading. Try an author who doesn't use conventional punctuation!

4. most of the time i slow myself right down to really think about what I'm reading, i don't like churning through books at the speed of light. reading is leisure and thus should be done at a leisurely pace.

5. If you can recall every bit of what you read, you have a gift

6. yeah i can. its weird. my friends think im bullshitting them but i can list off every scene and what happens. it kinda sucked in school because we would have to read 3 chapters in the text book in 1 period and i would do it in 10-15 minutes:mad:

7. I don't think it's a question of speed, most people read because they enjoy it the content of what they read, an 800 page book on FAA flight regulations is shit boring, would / did take me a month or more, an 800 page article on street walkers of LA, I read in 2-3 hours ....lol

Friend just fished the Hobbit, took her a week maybe, she really enjoyed it, if I had to read that it would take me a month or more, as we know the movie is due out, and the directors done the hard read for us.

Most peoples read speed is about the same speed as we talk, comfortable relaxed pace, we as readers ain't into 'the speed' more into the 'content' of what we read.

peace
    "V"

8. When you read, do you use your internal dialogue to guide you? Most speed-readers don't.

I'm a pretty good reader. I Probably read a bit faster than the average person. I have decent comprehension.

9. I read about 150 pages an hour. I used to be faster, but I'm getting old. I can easily knock out a paperback novel in a sitting, but back in highschool I would read a novel a day. Now I have all these adult responsibilities.

10. I like to take my time and mind chew the information. But if it's something like school work I'll usually blaze through it rather quick.

11. Tony Buzan: The Speed Reading Book...

Follow these scientifically proven techniques and it DOES work. At the start of the book my reading speed was 187 wpm (word epr minute) with 53% comprehension. Halfway through my score was 417 wpm with 50% comprehension. And wait, there's loads of improvement to come. Join in!

12. in elementary school this guy came and pulled us aside one by one and made us read a book to him at our normal reading pace.

he told me I was the fastest out of everyone in the grade. I'm a fast fucking reader. MESS WIT ME

13. I'm a pretty decent reader. I can read fast as shit with correct pronunciation but I have an aweful tendacy to daydream while I read. I could read out loud and still be thinking about weed or my dog or something. Makes me feel dumb as shit not remembering what I read until I see people that can't read without having a lot of trouble and it makes me think I'm a fuckin genius to be able to read and be thinking about something else.

14. I can read pretty fast, I dont know exactly how fast but I prefer to read things a bit more slowly or as I call it "real time reading" especially for conversations. Its apart of the imagination process to envision it actually happening rather than to read a book as like an achievement, or a notch on the bookshelf so you can tell people you're well read lol

15. Fairly fast, used to be very fast, but I've stopped reading as much as I used to. I should really get back into reading.

16. I read slow but I'm trying to read more and hopefully the speed will pick up.

17. I'm at like 25 words per minute. It took me 12 years to read The Odyssey.

18. This. Trying to fully comprehend Gravity's Rainbow took me a lot longer than Harry Potter.

For most novels I'm a fairly slow reader, around 50-60 pages per hour.

19. Really does depend on the book. If I'm into it then I probably wont put it down, fiction or non-fiction. I could get through 300-350 page book in a day if it's really good/