how far to hang my hps ???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by b18cGSR, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I have a 600w 750w 1000w ballast, Im vegging with the 750w and going to flower with 1000w mh. How far should I keep my light away from plants?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. #2 b18cGSR, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
    I did a little research, but i decided to drop the light 2-1/2 ft. from the top of plant. new picture. any feedback for max yield would be appreciated, Im using foxfarm nutes in soil. These plants have been going thru LST and Supercropping. Hopefully will be some bushy monsterz!:smoke:

Attached Files:

3. I have 600w and I keep it from 12-8" away . Just place thermometer on the canopy level and if temperature around 82f then it is totally safe .

4. I keep my 600w 4-8 inches away but the bulb is cooled by a fan.

With a thousand watt, I'd say 18 inches is a good starting point. If you can cool the bulb get it closer. Move it an inch a day closer. If u don't notice heat stress it's fine. Keep moving it closer until you do notice stress then go back. Trial and error my friend.

5. I dont have a cool tube, just fans blowing on tops of plants..heat dont seem to be an issue at all at 2-1/2 feet..Im going to inch it down a few inches tomorro but thats it, that vent is hot. and will have to get a vortec fan at some point im thinkin.

6. You can have your HPS as close as you can keep it cool. Use your hand at the top..the top temp is what matters.

7. You're planning on flowering with MH not HPS? It'll still work but wrong spectrum for flowering...

8. I though mh was for flowering??? I have a 1000w hps and 1000w mh...is it just ppls opinions or what...its hard to get answers on net cause everyone thinks differently about everything...so i take a mess load of opinions and just average them out pretty much

9. MH for veg. HPS for flower. Not an opinion. You've found the answer.

10. will it be ok if I switch them now? my 1000w mh is blue. I dont want to mess anything up

11. No, if you have a choice between 1000w MH and HPS for flowering, definitely 100% go for HPS. Its the right spectrum and has a higher lumen output :)

12. ok.. just having a issue...I switch bulbs and have been waiting about 15 minutes, the ballast seems cool, and the hood is cool now, I put the 1000w mh in and turned it on..it flicks on blue then seems like its starting up and shuts off...tried it a few times and same thing. brand new equipment...

13. yeh..I put my hps bulb back in and stated it, and lighted up right away...idk. So right now I have the hps back in.

14. if the mh ones dosnt work then leave on the hps. mh is for veg, and hps is for flowering. good luck

15. Place your hand on top of the plants, when the heat from the light burns yous hand it's to close, I run lite rails so you can place lights closer because they are moving..

16. Generally I do about 8-10" for my 150w,12-15" for my 600w, and 20" for my 1000w. The distances have nothing to do with heat. Those distances are just optimal for light spread in my setup.

17. is it a Digital ballast? if not the old Magnetics will only work with one type of bulb or the other unless you have a conversion bulb

18. Hey guys I got 10 clones rooting right now, and im a little patient so i decided to start growing one plant for now, I only purchased a 1000w HPS system, because that is perfect for my whole grow closet, and i was wondering if its a bit too much for this little guy right now haha! I heard you can never have too much lightt, and it depends on the heat the light gives off and the temp, well i can leave my hand about 3/4 inches above the plant for as long as i want without it starting to hurt, and my temps are always between 75-81F, the light is currently 18-20 inches above the top of the plant. It just looks unhealthy to me, the leaves are quite crusty and dry, i know for a fact its not a lack of water, any ideas? thanks ! (The pics are in my other thread, "My tiny grow")