how far can mj pollen travel

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by vick44reed, Jul 16, 2011.

1. i have an outdoor crop and when the time comes I'm going to pull the males. but I live in a very rural area. what if someone else has plants, and doesn't pull their males. how far can the pollen travel. can an insect also pollenate my females?

2. LOL...if one of your neighbors are growing males they can definently travel that far.....if your house if far from neighbors i wouldnt worrie...

Pollen can travel HELLLLA far tho so once you find yours get em out ASAP if you have people Close to you ..Id say within 25 meters of your plants (probably more) its not good

3. Nature finds a way to reproduce. But I wouldn't worry much.

4. Pollens travel dude. Many, many miles sometimes and pots no different than any other pollen. The single grains of pollen are as small as dust, and go everywhere the wind takes them. Pollen and dust from Saharan and Sub-saharan Africa commonly reach South America and the Carribean if the winds that created them push that shit high enough to be carried by the jetstream.....not necessarily weed pollen, Im just sayin...

5. ^^^ Fascinating!

6. i have males you just got to do it rt . i take the male plant in and away from outher plants after the male flowers are all looking ripe i wait till one of the flowers open then i will cut the whole top off after trimming all the sucker leafs out of way then put the tops in a jare they open and dry out walla pollin for more seeds i have never bought a seed .

7. WTF?! across continents? dzayumn...I have a hard time believing that could happen because that would mean that some outdoor plants in California could pollinate outdoor plants in New York, lol. or at least the neighboring state of Oregon from what you're suggesting.

I'd say a couple of miles, maximum.

8. Regionally, yes, pollens CAN travel many miles, but not Oregon to NYC, the prevailing winds arent right...the African duststorms are a special case, unique in fact, because the storms are SOO vast(stretching into the upper atmosphere sometimes) and because the jetstream off the west african coast is powerful enough to carry them, uh, trans-atlantically?.... hot damn, look at that. Did I just make me up a whole new word?
    Individual seeds r found in lots of outdoor crops cuz u never know what asshole left a few males somewhere for that one grain of pollen to stick to a kola, but this may be more common around here in NorCal, cuz theres weed growing every few miles up in this bee-otch..
    NorCal For LIFE!
    :devious: