how far can males pollinate females outdoors

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by kybuck, Jan 22, 2011.

1. hey i was wanting to do some autoflowering strains this yr, i bout four verietys, one of which i got both males and females, i was planing on doing all of them in a sea of green outdoors, but i'd kinda like to put a female elsewhere to see how good the product actually is, i basicly wanna knw how far can a male plant breed a female, i've herd up to a mile, does anyone knw forsure, i am on doing this early in the yr, so i can make a shit ton of seeds to start over and over again... but i'd like to put a few females by thereselves somewhere so i knw that the smk im breeding for seeds is good... anyhelp is helpful thanks....

2. The truth of the matter is the males can pollinate the females as far as the pollen will travel. A strong wind can carry the pollen several miles, an insect can also carry pollen several miles. I would say your best bet would be to place the plants at LEAST a mile away, more if you can. I would also try to plant with a large obstacle in between them (a large hill, a small river ect.

If you are super worried about it i would probably put them several miles apart.

3. It can travel pretty far sometimes, like tokey said. Just try to make sure theres no other growers in your area, you could end up really pissing somebody off and ruining their crop.

4. Like they said, quite a long way. I've heard tell that pollen from Morocco can make it across to Spain when the winds are right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Craziness:eek:

6. wouldn't doubt that for a minute.

7. I don't know if it's true or not; it's anecdotal from growers I met overseas, but I wouldn't doubt it a bit either.

8. I was wondering.... I have plants outdoors that are just short of 12 weeks old. None of them have buds yet. But I’m finding very tiny white hairs near the stalk toward the bottom that are kind of orange/brown and new hairs up top near the stalk that are white. Again, no buds yet anywhere. Is this normal? Female plants...

9. Easy for a mile my monies on about 5 miles others would say 8-10 miles

males have been very successful for a very very long time and are very good at pollination ...lol

good luck

10. yup Cannabis and hemp .
    If you live down wind from a hemp farm say five to ten miles your fucked.
    Your virgin girls will be sluts

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Yeah that's normal