how far away should my plants be from my 400w HPS

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jayjay5396, May 19, 2011.

1. my set up is only in a wardrobe just wondering if my plants are to far away from it because ive got them what i call a safe distance away from it id rather put them too far away than burn them since i dont have a clue on the preferred distance

what is the best distance???

at a guess they are 3 and a half feet away from it is that ok???

there is plenty of light in there

i tried taking a photo but my camera doesn't seem to like the HPS light so am goosed for showing you a photo sorry

2. LOL, you can just take a picture with the lights off and use flash or just turn on the lights and turn off the hps whatever. there is a chart you can find that explains the lumens you will achieve depending on distance from plants. I like to keep my 600 watt HPS 8-12 inches away from my tops during flowering but farther during vegg. What cycle are you on, how old are your plants? Last but not least soil, hydro or other?

3. the plants are still seedlings about 2 weeks old they on 12 hrs straight i know they should be on 18 hrs but the electric cost wont allow me to do so i have to spread the electric out to be able to give them 12 hrs every day if i did 18 hrs the electric would sharp run out then theyd have no light at all if i did that the bulb apparently gives off 50,000 lumens and am using soil its not organic peat but the packet does say professional peat so am guessing its better than the cheap stuff

4. A brand new 400w HPS bulb needs to be a minimum of 10" from all plant parts at all times. Set it to a foot away each day to allow for room to grow.

Pics taken under HPS lighting are usually very yellow and harder to make out than normal household lighting.

5. you could say its brand new i been using it for about a month the bulb is brand new but the ballast and reflector combi is old