How exactly is a vaped high "different"?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by notime4schwag, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I see a lot of people say that a getting high with a vaporizor gives you a different kind of high than smoking bud. How so?

2. I smoked a vape once, it didn't give me a different high, just a nice easy hit. Some people are just weed snobs and will only vape, or only use their expensive RooR bong. A high is a fucking high no matter what you use to get high with, the only difference is a Sativa high and an Indica Stone.

3. The high you get from a vape is dependent on how far you take the bud. Take it till it's dark brown and you'll get a stoney high, similar to smoking. Take it to a tan-light brown and the high is a much more "heady" high.

The reason is, THC boils off more readily than CBD.

As for a weed snob... perhaps. But; the taste is much cleaner, the high is almost adjustable and it's just plain healthier. =P

Also, I've noticed each strain seems to have a unique set of characteristics in the high.

4. To be honest - it doesn't. At least it doesn't have to.

There is no difference between the actives (THC, CBD, CBN, etc) in smoke and the actives in vapor. They're both just actives released.

With a vaporizer you can choose the temperature you're extracting at, so you COULD get a headier high by leaving it a low temperature, getting the THC without some of the higher temp cannabinoids. However at high temperatures, you can still not combust, while getting all the actives.

Some of the differences people experience, is that the first few hits may contain a bit more THC as the later few, as it vapes more readily.

Another difference is that due to the incredible heat produced by a bic lighter, or really combustion in general, will destroy a significant amount of the actives (up to 50%). It may also destroy and degrade THC more readily than other cannabinoids, giving you a different ratio than you would while vaporizing.

In my opinion though - vaporizing is better in every way. You get significantly more actives, with the control of deciding what kind of high you want - with the option of connecting a high temp vaporizer to a bong for a very similar stoney feeling.

5. It's a much cleaner high because of no combustion. I quit smoking at the same time I started vaporizing and I missed the dirty smoke high feeling but that was because my body wanted it. After some time it became very clear that I enjoy vaporizing more than I did smoking. Extremely healthy way to use MJ as well. good luck.

6. #6 sektr, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    You are an idiot.

Sincerely,

Me

But anyways OP, I feel like the difference between the two is much more noticeable to a smoker with lower tolerance, if you're a daily smoker it's harder to pick up on but the difference is there.

It's definitely a much more clear-headed, functional high, mostly a body buzz and it barely effects your mind. That's really how I can describe it you just don't get the hazy couch lock that smoking gives you.

There is absolutely no need for the name-calling - WW

7. I'm sorry, but I find your statement to be factually false.

There ARE differences between a vapor high and a combustion high. You probably won't know that because you've only had a vapor once.

But trust me, being a Volcano owner for SEVERAL years and having used various other vapes extensively I can tell you there is a huge difference.

For one, you're not SMOKING or COMBUSTING anything, which is healthier for your lungs and won't make you cough as badly.

Secondly with vaporizers you are more efficient with your material, and there are CBDs and other psychoactive compounds that get activated at lower temperatures than the flaming point of the leaf, and as such when you burn them they aren't activated, they are wasted completely.

Now each vapor high is different depending on the strain, but to say that the vape high and the combustion high aren't any different is flat out ignorant in every sense of the word.

8. [quote name='"WildWill"']

I'm sorry, but I find your statement to be factually false.

There ARE differences between a vapor high and a combustion high. You probably won't know that because you've only had a vapor once.

But trust me, being a Volcano owner for SEVERAL years and having used various other vapes extensively I can tell you there is a huge difference.

For one, you're not SMOKING or COMBUSTING anything, which is healthier for your lungs and won't make you cough as badly.

Secondly with vaporizers you are more efficient with your material, and there are CBDs and other psychoactive compounds that get activated at lower temperatures than the flaming point of the leaf, and as such when you burn them they aren't activated, they are wasted completely.

Now each vapor high is different depending on the strain, but to say that the vape high and the combustion high aren't any different is flat out ignorant in every sense of the word.[/quote]

I have to add Will, that EVERY single Cannabinoid activates at a lower ignition point than the cannabis flower. THC, CBD, CBN, all of them. This does cause them to be destroyed, sometimes up to 50% with a 2000 bic lighter, but they are not wasted completely. Terpenes in particular have extremely low flashpoints, but are still present in combustion, but certainly in lesser amounts.

A vaporizer is also equally able to activate every single cannabinoid without igniting the flowers.

So, the actives in vapor and smoke can be quite identical, assuming your vaporizer is on a hot enough temperature.

The differences are due to the temperature of the vaporizer, and small inconsistencies in the amounts of actives due to destruction and degradation of certain compounds. The highs can be quite similar under similar circumstances though (high temp vape-bong VS combustion bong. Not trying to disagree though, I found the statement ignorant as well xD.

9. Yeah you said it nicer than me...

10. I agree with you :smoke:

You really won't notice the benefits unless you have a nice vape and/or have done it for a little while without smoking at all (to be able to determine the difference in highs). I notice a significant difference, mostly in how long the high lasts, the intensity, and the "crash" once it wears off. I wouldn't say its different in the sense that it doesn't make a sativa into indica or something, but the effects you feel are "cleaner" and more defined than by smoking.

The way it enters/leaves your brain seems to be more efficient when its purely vapor, compared to your body having to sort through all those carcinogens (around 500 separate compounds) as well. Also the onset and taper seem to make a difference. A vape onset takes slightly longer to go into effect than smoking, but lasts longer and tapers off less extreme than it would be smoking. Like when you get munchies, eat, and get tired, I dont really notice the tired part with vaping as much, which is a big plus for me :)

11. Yeah, I can vape a nice trench in my MFLB and feel the after effects up to four hours after I vaped. And it doesn't tire you out like smoking does, either.

12. #12 tstick, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    To the OP:

I find the taste of smoke to be different than that of vapor....and taste is a big part of my enjoyment of using marijuana.

Think of it the way you would roasting a marshmallow in front of a campfire...What I mean is that, some people don't like the taste of marshmallows unless they put them INTO the fire until they are flaming and get that burnt-ash crust on them. Other people like the marshmallow to be intact and just slightly brown...and still others only like raw marshmallows.

Me? I'm a burnt-marshmallow-taste kinda guy. I like the taste of smoke. I understand that more THC and other cannabinoids can be delivered through vapor than through smoke, but I still feel that I can only get the kind of high that seems more "complete" to me from smoke.

And I understand that a possible reason that I crave the feeling of smoke is due to the fact that smoke causes the body to feel attacked by the carbonaceous matter and thus makes the body release endorphins to try and relieve itself from the attack...something like that, anyway.

I think I like that feeling and have learned to interpret it as the feeling I want to achieve. When I vaporize, I never seem to get that feeling. Yes, I do get high...but not in the way that I truly crave.

I have used my Da Buddha for a long time and I am well aware of all the temperature ranges. I am familiar with how to load the stem. I have done vapor bongs and really run the gambit of what it can do....I know how to use it. Still, I can't say that it's my favorite way to ingest marijuana.

In fact, lately, I have been enjoying my glass cigarette (chillum) and loading just a BB-sized piece of super-premium marijuana into it and then lighting it with my Hakko 455. Three or four of those and I'm good.

Plus, I can taste the smoke better. I find that, by comparison, the early vapor is the only vapor that tastes fresh and then subsequent draws taste toasted like burnt popcorn. I cannot differentiate flavors in the vapor as well as I can with the smoke. The first vapor always has a fresh, flowery taste...but not distinguishable from other strains. They all taste good, but, more or less, the same. With smoke, I can distinguish flavors a lot better.

But the vaporizer is a much healthier way to use marijuana. I'll give it that.

13. A vape high, to me atleast, is strongly sativa feeling. Regardless if it's an indica or sativa. Much cleaner feeling I find as well.

14. [quote name='"Hart"']A vape high, to me atleast, is strongly sativa feeling. Regardless if it's an indica or sativa. Much cleaner feeling I find as well.[/quote]

THC is much more plentiful in sativa than an indica, and there's a good bit more CBD in an indica. This is the main difference between the highs is this.

THC's flashpoint is one of the lowest, whereas CBDs is a good bit higher. So often if you vape at a low temp this is exactly what you'll feel. You're getting that overload of THC with less CBD, same as a sativa. A higher temp changes this significantly.