Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How exactly do vaporizers work?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by blitz5, Nov 19, 2012.

1. So before I buy a vaporizer i'm superrrr interested in how it actually works..
    Like does it heat the water inside(if there is even water in it...)
    or
    Is it a heat plate and whenever you get the THC's to gas form(Like evaporation) and it then flows into you your mouth
    or
    Is it steamed out of the weed?

Sorry I'm HIttinG you witH a bat

2. Think of it as a little sauna for your weed. It heats up the air in a couple ways but usually conduction. between 212-412 (f) cannabinoids turn to vapor while the plant material takes the most heat to combust it only vapor is let off and no burning occurs.

Somebody could probably give you a better example i'm toasted.

3. You put the bud in a little bowl type thing and then you stick the bowl onto the heating element. The heating element gets extremely hot and releases vapors from the bud and not really burning it. I don't think any of them have water in them.

4. With mine its all glass on glass and the hot air passes through my herb at a temperate enough to vaporize the herb but not hot enough to combust it.

I think of it almost like when water turns to steam(vapor)

5. Broadly, vaporizers may be classified by how they heat the substance:

By thermal conduction
    By convection
    By thermal radiation

In conduction heating, the substance is placed on a metal plate that is then heated to release the active constituents. Conduction vaporizers were the first type to appear on the market, and are still in production.

In convection heating, the substance never touches a heating element. Instead, hot air passes through it, heating it rapidly, and allowing the release of the active constituents. This method of heating releases more active constituents than conduction heating.[citation needed] Some convection vaporizers or vaporization systems use a hand-held heating wand with a glass-encapsulated element and vortex flow form inducing intakes, which when mated to a bowl on many common pipes or water pipes or when mated to a specialized vaporization chamber bowl, enable the user's draw to pull ambient air past a glass heating surface heating the air prior to its passage through the substrate in the bowl. The vapor is extracted and then passes through the pipe, often with water and/or ice for cooling and conditioning, and thence to the user.

In radiation heating, the substance absorbs radiant energy and its temperature rises. The energy can be provided by a superheated thermal mass placed around it, or from a visible bright light source like the sun. Thermal mass radiation vaporizers permit uniform heating of substrate without diluting vapors, supplying high quality medicine. A pipe and a magnifying glass on a bright, sunny day can, with care and practice, act as an adequate radiation vaporizer.

6. ^seems like the best explanation. In simple terms, its like an oven. It doesnt burn your weed (as that releases carbon monoxide and some other not too good gases) it heats up air to the point at which THC will become a vapour and that is then blown by a fan or sucked into your lungs (usually both, most vapes have a fan) to get you hiiiiiiigh.