How early can you take clones?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by lostbyyou, Dec 7, 2007.

1. I have a 6 plant dwc system with one plant thats around 3 weeks and 5 more that are 1 week old and some arent looking to good. so i would rather take a clone from the really healthy old one if i can this soon? any one know its alright to clone?

2. I believe the rule of thumb is not to clone before the third or fourth node. Also, it's only been a week - there's no reason the runts might not grow into some beautiful ladies :)

3. What are the nodes, how do I identify them?

4. A node is a section on the plant where a branch grows out. A leaf grows out first then between the leaf and the main stem a branch will start to grow. This is also where you can find the pre-flowers once the plants are several weeks old. The pre-flowers will help you identify whether you have a female or male. So you want to take a clone once there are about foure or five nodes on the plant. This will leave a topped plant with a couple of nodes left that will start to grow side branches. More toppes instead of one main cola. Most plants benafit from being topped. It will induce more lateral growth.