How does your garden grow...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by wombat#, Feb 15, 2019.

1. I put these two outside on Boxing day , they were both about 70cm tall , and now the sativa is pushing 185cm having survived the 44 degree days of january.
    the one on the left is a bagseed sativa that i had been storing for more than 15 years, i popped its mother last year and it is a lovely daytime vape .
    the one on the right is R4, it's supposed to be 20% cbd with less than 1% thc , it smells like you just put your head in a fresh hole in the ground, very earthy. i am looking forward to trying the finished bud.
    i'm growing in THC Pro-Plus+ coco coir and using Budrite ferts and Canna PK 13/14 during flower, both at about two thirds the recommended dose, and cal/mag when needed.
    PH of everything in is 6-6.2 , runoff was 6.1 last week.
    DSCN3650.JPG DSCN3651.JPG DSCN3652.JPG DSCN3653.JPG
    and the R4 below
    DSCN3654.JPG DSCN3655.JPG DSCN3656.JPG DSCN3657.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. one week on..
    the sativa is in 12" pot ,glad i didn't pot up, it wouldn't fit under clothesline, the R4 is in a 14" pot.
    DSCN3690.JPG
    DSCN3691.JPG
    DSCN3700.JPG DSCN3695.JPG DSCN3701.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. does anyone lollipop an outdoor plant?
    i'm thinking of removing a lot of the piddly growth in the bottom third .
    comments welcome DSCN3708.JPG DSCN3710.JPG DSCN3713.JPG DSCN3714.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. found a leaf with a spider mite so all the little growth underneath is gone and any leaf showing signs as well,
    and a spray with h2o2 , because i don't know of any alternatives once it's in flower.
    I've just got to hope to control the population .
    It's beginning to look like this sativa phenotype is very susceptible to mites , in the veg room it was the one with mites while all the others had none , the R4 next to this one has none either.
    DSCN3720.JPG DSCN3721.JPG DSCN3723.JPG DSCN3724.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. I just did an entire wipeout of my room because of mites. The word scares me now after the colony I saw on one of my plants. To be safe, I wiped everything out and used a couple dr doom bombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. #7 wombat#, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    so today i'm inspecting and there is this
    DSCN3749.JPG DSCN3750.JPG
    which looks like this magnified
    10.jpg 11.jpg
    what's going on ?
    Is this damage from the mites ( eggs plainly visible ) or is it from the sprays with 3% h2o2 then fresh water the following day then 40% alcohol,
    Or is it mildew starting from wet leaves because i hit with fresh water to wash the mites off then alcohol to kill them and there was already a wound from mite damage for spores to get in ?
    Another spray this afternoon with 200ml of 3% h2o2 in 1 litre of water , this is supposed to treat mildew as well as mites .
    Has any body any experience using monopotassium
    phosphate as a fungicide?
    It looks like another way to fertilise too.
    sounds useful if it helps against mildew and boosts the P/K .
    mites +mildew.jpg mites 11.jpg

DSCN3751.JPG DSCN3752.JPG
    After picking off most of the affected leaves.

wikipedia: Monopotassium phosphate, MKP KH 2PO 4, is a soluble salt of potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. ... Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP, or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH 2PO 4, is a soluble salt of ...

7. Well, the plant still lives after my blunder and its burn with the wrong dose of h2o2 ,turns out i used the soil drench formula, the foliar spray dose i used yesterday was 50ml / litre of 3% h2o2 which sounds more sensible.
    Can't find any mites now , just the eggs and they haven't changed since 5 days ago .
    DSCN3759.JPG DSCN3760.JPG DSCN3762.JPG DSCN3763.JPG DSCN3764.JPG DSCN3765.JPG DSCN3769.JPG

Attached Files:

8. i'm still obsessively looking for mite activity on the sativa , and found 1 on monday on the lower cola that had been painted with R4 feminised pollen and therefore had not been sprayed at all, so she got another spray with 50% isopropyl alcohol .
    Now it looks like it is going ok and starting to stack on new pistils . No sign of any mites either.
    here is the cola that has a few seeds starting from R4 pollen that i collected in january .
    MY first cross .
    DSCN3818.JPG
    DSCN3829.JPG
    new growth
    DSCN3827.JPG DSCN3830.JPG
    DSCN3821.JPG
    and here is the R4 going along nicely so far , the mites have not laid any eggs on her as far as i can see .
    I can see some nice trichomes coming , even when it is in seed it's really super sticky and earthy.
    DSCN3822.JPG DSCN3823.JPG DSCN3824.JPG DSCN3825.JPG DSCN3826.JPG

9. I've been painting some feminised indica pollen onto another branch of the sativa and the R4.
    If anyone has any thoughts on putting a bag on the pollinated buds comments are welcome.
    I think i will leave it on for 24 hrs.
    DSCN3888.JPG DSCN3889.JPG

10. 24 hrs later and i've taken the bags off, lots of pistils have turned brown, a good sign .
    And a pic of the top colas, still stacking it on , no signs of calyxes swelling yet though.
    I can't find any sign of spider mites either and all the eggs appear dead so the overdose of h2o2 with the follow up alcohol spray appears to have worked, fingers crossed.
    It is a great result considering the options for treating plants in flower.
    DSCN3897.JPG DSCN3898.JPG DSCN3902 (2).JPG

11. A week on and things are peachy , did a flush and the run off was 6.1 pH . I've been giving them cal/mag and extra P/K to about 1.6 EC.
    The sativa is a little slow to swell up and get sticky but beggars and all that, you know.
    The R4 is going great , the buds aren't that full yet but they are beginning to get oily and earthy. DSCN3933.JPG DSCN3934.JPG DSCN3938.JPG DSCN3939.JPG DSCN3940.JPG DSCN3941.JPG DSCN3943.JPG DSCN3946.JPG

12. Your garden is looking on point there Wombat
    I looked up R4 and i'm impressed by its stats.
    I was thinking Candida CD-1 was where its at...but clearly I have to re-evaluate haha.

Keep us updated with yield and consumption report bro

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. There is weather coming, wind and rain, and Budfuck lurking.
    The R4 got blown over and split a branch , so i was out with the lantern and tape late last night repairing things.
    I looked at the trichomes yesterday and only a bit of cloudiness so a few more weeks to go i think . I wish they were further on.
    those leaves that got burnt by h2o2 are really showing it now but i have no spider mites at all and none of the eggs hatched .
    DSCN3980.JPG DSCN3981.JPG and the R4
    DSCN3982.JPG DSCN3983.JPG DSCN3984.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Sorry boss, i forget your Thread too. I even forgot @Porky 1982 thread aswell.

Well this wind should of hit you by now, at least you have a bit of cover from the rain. How big of a branch did you tape up?

15. just a little split.
    DSCN3995.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  16. It looks like only a few seeds have started on the sativa,( indica feminised pollen) and i can't see any starting on the R4 unfortunately . I must have been too frugal and careful with the pollen and needed to keep the bags on longer with more pollen inside from what i have recently read.Some suggest putting the pollen in a translucent plastic produce bag the upending the cola into it , tying it off and shaking things around although they did note potential problems with a static charge on the bag sticking the pollen to it. DSCN4016.JPG

17. It's almost time to chop them down , the trichomes are 90% cloudy so the harvest window is open , i've been stripping the fan leaves and a few more while it's still standing , much easier to do than when you have it cut and on a table , and will let these girls go a few days more and see what they do. Only water now as they need it. DSCN4037.JPG R4 , getting very sticky ,about 70% cloudy trichomes but i have no idea as i write at what point the CBD trichomes are best, a bit of dr. google is in order.
    DSCN4038.JPG sativa , i think the netting on the four posts worked well ,some support but still movable .
    DSCN4036.JPG DSCN4046.JPG the sativa buds are quite airy
    DSCN4048.JPG DSCN4045.JPG

18. After some searching..
    from dinafem
     When to harvest the CBD strains?

Just so everyone is clear as to what I have found and Mark has found is that the best time to harvest is at all cloudy..

Just no scientific data but in talking with some other breeders their higher CBD range comes at all cloudy. First sign of Amber I chop.

100% agreed and we do need to do a lot more testing both in our lab and via independent testing.

What we have found is CBD levels peak rught as the trichomes go from clear to milky and degradation starts as the trichomes turn Amber. This is when we see the CBD drop and other compounds increase such as CBN and CBG :thumbsup:

Let me see what's going on around the lab and if I can share any .pdf,s of our findings :thumbsup:
    When the trichomes start to Amber this is when we see the CBD % drop and more CBN and CBG is found :pass:

Please let us know how you get on mate and when you harvest :bong:

I did a small test this year and tested the flowers from our DinaMed Auto CBD.

Day 56 the CBD % was 11%

Day 63 the CBD % was 12.5%

Day 70 the CBD % was 13.3%(harvested 90% of the plant left 10%)

Day 77 the CBD % fell to 12.7%

And 1 final week to

Day 84 the CBD % fell to just 10.3% (This was 30-40% Amber)

Hope that helps a little?

All the best

Mark..

Dinafem-Mark, Oct 16, 2018
    So it seems the answer is harvest at maximum cloudiness with minimal amber for the most CBD .
    A late pick will increase the CBN and CBG and might cause slight head effects according to one anecdote i read.

• Informative Informative x 2