Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How does salary work?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by crampo1, May 12, 2011.

1. Hey blades. This doesn't have to do with weed, and I wasn't sure where to post this, but these forums are pretty active so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm about to graduate from college with my degree in engineering. Luckily engineers are in demand in my area, so I have a few good prospects for jobs. My parents own their own business and I've always been an hourly employee, so I have no idea how salary, benefits, and all that stuff works.

I understand the situation is probably different for just about every company, but I'm looking for general ideas I guess. I've read entry-level engineers make about $50k a year. That's plenty for now, but within the next 10-15 years I'd like to be making $80-100k. How do raises work? Do you get like a percentage raise each year, or is it determine from a performance review?

I'll appreciate any information I can get, as it will probably help me in negotiating salary. Thanks y'all.

2. Interesting question. Differs for every company but generally Salary is either expressed as an annual figure or monthly figure. Means that if you are salaried you get paid no overtime, you get the salary, they get you for as long as they need you. The job is done done when the job is done.

Remember, generally your salary is very secret in most private companies which can work for or against you. It can work for you because you might be able to negotiate a little higher pay based on your abilities, maybe a bit more than a peer in the business (this is why they keep money private so the guy or gal working next to you doesn't get pisssed because you're making more than them).

Just a couple of tidbits.

3. Pretty sure that depends on the job, bruh. :smoke:

4. About raises....those only happen anymore when the company is making money.

I've only had one in the (almost) 4 years I've been at this job.

5. Word.

Basically if you want to make 100k in 10 years you're either going to need more education, or you'll need to change jobs 3 or 4 times between now and then.