How does nicotine REALLY affect your high?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by feral.dread, Mar 17, 2010.

1. A question I still haven't been able to find a consistent answer to. As a smoker of both cigarettes and weed, it seems to me that a cigarette makes my high seem more intense for about 5 minutes, and then returns to just under where it was. It seems to me then that it doesn't actually affect my high much, but rather exists more intense shortly inside of my marijuana high, and then leaves it seemingly less interesting.

I've heard that tobacco was used by shamans to help those experiencing too intense of a trip to come back down or go to sleep... so that would make it seem like nicotine kills a high, if that's actually true. I know nicotine kills marijuana seeds. I've also heard that smoking a cigarette leads to a better or more intense high for some.

What's your stance on it? Does anyone have any scientific information on the subject?:confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. radioactive tobacco = bad :mad:

marijuana = good :smoke:

sorry, im not sure about your questions

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Here's what I can come up with without thinking too hard:

1) Oxygen deprivation. Too much smoke, you get tunnel vision, dizzy, not enough oxygen. It makes it seem more intense, but it's probably not good.

2a) You don't smoke cigarettes regularly and you really notice the nicotine buzz.

2b) You smoke regularly, and you just notice the nicotine more.

I feel it too, but I don't think it's really anything the cigarette does. It's just a good feeling for some. I have noticed if you'd smoked 2 or 3 cigarettes before a bowl, you won't feel any difference if you smoke a cigarette after the bowl. So that leads me to think it's probably just more noticeable when you're high (like how some times you feel your heart racing, even though you're just fine) since it didn't have the same effect when my body already had high amounts of nicotine floating around.

4. You feel higher because you get a buzz from the nicotine for about 5 minutes. Then it wears off and you're back to where you were.

5. #5 feral.dread, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
    I know that they're two very different things like apples and oranges, and tobacco is nothing but bad for you. My question was whether or not anyone has concrete information on how consuming nicotine after marijuana affects the nature or duration of your high, or if they aren't even related.

EDIT - That was aimed at the first responder. Interesting ideas thereafter.... hmm. Has anyone ever come across any studies on the subject?

6. There's always been a myth floating around that having a smoke after a bowl helps the high, but I can't imagine how that could be true.

7. 1. Makes me have to take a shit.
    2. Makes it slightly easier to focus on any task.
    3. Definitely changes the body high, but it's too hard to explain how since it's too hard to explain a body high in the first place.

That's about it. Just what you'd expect from a weak stimulant. Sometimes I do feel more tired after smoking a cigarette, paradoxically, but it always wakes my body up, even if the mind lags behind a bit.

8. I've never experienced any change of my high from smoking. Been a regular smoker for 6 years now, so maybe it's that. And i must admit that i never felt any other effect from tobacco. Maybe a headrush sometimes.

9. Offtopic but nicotine reduces the effectiveness of benzos.

10. Yah they all say smoking a cig after gets you higher, but I actually feel a lot better now that I've quit cigs, not only after I smoke weed, but just in generall. I never really thought it got you higher.

11. You get a head rush/ buzz feeling from a cigarette. When your high you feel this and it feels like your high is intense. Then the buzz goes away. I stopped smoking cigs on a daily basis maybe 1 or 2 a day the most. Now i just bum cigarettes off people, or if im smoking weed, drinking, or doing any kind of drugs then i like smoking cigs. So all in all id say it doesnt effect your high at all.

12. Wow i never knew that
    learn somethin new everyday
    glad i quit smokin
    nicotine=garbage

13. Seriously? I always chain smoke on benzos so bad. I should stop.

14. no, nicotine does not potentiate the high from marijuana. its two seperate highs that you are feeling at the same time.

i dont smoke, and i can get fucked up just from smoking 1 cig like that for about 10 mins then it goes back to normal

15. Yeah, I always just thought that when people say that, they just arent immune to the nicotine buzz, and that makes them feel higher. being a cigarette smoker, It actually chills out my high, because I am paying attention to smoking the cigarette. I feel like my high almost "kicks in" again when Im done witht the cig. my .02

• Like Like x 2
  16. All I can say is that's it's been 3 weeks so far for me since my last cig. I can already taste, smell, better.. but yeah I always thought that cigs helped with the buzz.

17. I CANNOT even imagine not having a cig after i blaze.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeah that's pretty much how it goes for me too. I mean,I still feel high after I smoke weed... but I feel like the mental side of it doesnt kick in as much unless I smoke a cigarette. Damn legal heroin. =[

19. LOLNO.

I'm pretty sure if he were to suffocate himself from smoking too much, he'd probably be vomiting, passing out, and generally feel like shit. He's talking about smoking a cig after getting blazed, not putting a gas mask on and breathing in nothing but smoke.

20. i smoked cigs for a couple years myself, but i never really noticed much of a difference..maybe that intensity is just the enjoyment of your cig? i quit smoking(pack a day) recently(jan 23), but i still have to say i love a nice smoke after a sesh:) just relaxing and having a cig while you're burnt = <3