How does my plant look? I feel like something might be up.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Burgerwolf, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Thanks JT, after looking at pictures of plants with potassium def for a while that's what I'm really thinking. Plants with potassium def are the only pics I've seen that look like mine.. unless I get a better identification I'm gonna assume it's that.. my soul pH(ocean forest) was 6.5 as was my nutes solution at last watering. Since it's an auto I started out around 1/8-1/6th nutes and am just now at about 1/4-1/3rd (thought it safe to go easy) so I'll go ahead and bump up to 1/2 nutes.
    Also, I don't know if this would make a difference since both veg and flower nutes have 4% potash (fox farms grow big, tiger bloom) but this girl has only gotten one feed of flower nutes so far, and a low dose to ease into it but has been in flower for at least a week. I was a bit late with the switch... Im learning tho... Lol.

2. I concur with the potassium def. I nearly said I thought there was a nitrogen def too but not really sure about that.

3. Thanks flutter, I just gave it a flush(was basically on schedule with what I wanted to do) and bumped the feed up to 1/2 nutes (6.5ph) and gave her a good meal. One troubling thing that also makes me think even more that its potassium def (based on pics I've seen and things I've read) is that while feeding I pulled it all the way out of the closet to give it a full inspection and there were 4-6 leaves already on the soul and maybe 4-6 more either fell off with a light rub or a very light, almost no-pressure pull. They were all getting brown or yellow along the outside of the leaf first.. some of the leaves were entirely brownish and slightly crispy. It's been 3-4 days since I pulled it out and looked below. It's kind of hard the way I trained it, but I'll be checking it daily. I will also say I haven't defoliated at all even if the leaf was brown or yellow and I knew I already had a few dead leaves below.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh that stinks. I sure hope it's a correct diagnosis so it can be helped. Best of luck nursing that baby back to health!

5. Thanks flutter.. this is supposedly a 60 day strain and it's day 45 so I'm pretty nervous.. it is pretty clear that it will go more than 8 weeks, I've been planning for 70 days but I guess I'll see.

I've been planning out flushing and stopping nutes about 10 days before I think I'll harvest.. which is creeping up on me.

I can't tell if she is improving yet or not.. it's only been 24 hours. She is still growing, and producing flowers(early). I hope I can get her feeling better before I flush and stop nutes, I know my yield and maybe quality is already affected and don't want to screw up too much lol. She is my first but I have another that has cal deficiency. The quickest thing I could get was CALiMAGic that will be here tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well I know I'm in for the ride. I'm pretty anxious to see what happens. I'm pulling for ya!

Best of luck and praying for the Green Thumb Goddess to visit you. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for that! I'll keep posting with updates. Fingers crossed!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Have you checked the pH of the runoff?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Yes I do pretty often.. I forgot to my last feeding, which was an obvious newbie mistake, I wanted to but then dumped the runoff and was like "damn"!
    According to my journal the last time I watered to runoff and checked it was 7/31 so almost a week ago but it was right where I shoot for at 6.5. 7 days before that it was 6.2. the only thing about the pH is I have a cheap pH pen, a pH color test(which I only use to verify the digital meter because it's so hard to read sometimes) and a soil pH probe. I don't trust the probe or use it very much. The digital pH pen is almost a month old and I still don't have calibration solution so it's a hassle to test pH since I use two methods. It appears I'll be feeding tomorrow so I'll be able to test it again.

I gave her a 1/2 strenth nute feeding 2 nights ago (up from a 1/3) to help with the potassium def. And yesterday got my Cal mag in so gave her a foliar feeding with it and a bit of organic fertilizer(big bloom). I don't have the best memory so have to snap a lot of pics to compare but things started to go downhill quick and it seems like maybe I "leveled off a bit".. inotherwords the rate at which the deficiency is spreading has slowed I think. The past few days I've been nervous though. I'll get an updated pic tomorrow!

10. I just figured I'd go ahead and get a pic. It's almost scary to see the difference between my first picture and this; it now has had probably 15-20 leaves that were/are dead/seriously affected. If you zoom in on this pic you can see some of the leaf yellowing.

It's the only one under the led and the plant right next to it is on the same feeding schedule and only has a bit of Cal Def. Does the LED make the plant need more potassium just like Calcium? I haven't read hat anywhere just wondering what experience says. IMG_20170805_231154.jpg IMG_20170805_231142.jpg IMG_20170805_231334.jpg

11. I'm due for a feeding tomorrow. I've been alternating from water, feed, water, feed but the last feeding included nutes and the feeding before that was worm castings tea, so organic nutes. With this potassium deficiency should I still skip a feeding each time? Even though I'm only at 1/2 strength, if I fed with nutes tomorrow that would be 3 in a row and I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I don't believe there is any recent nutes burn. Any suggestions?

12. Gunna be taking these to my friend with a color deck printer and get some posters made :). Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sure thing! They're very useful.

14. Well I think I've done all I can do for now.. my girl is not looking good.
    So...
    On 7/31 I fed worm castings tea @ 6.5pH. runoff was 6.5pH
    On 8/1 I stated seeing rust colored spots making me think calcium deficiency from my LED.
    On 8/2 I flushed with 1 gal 6.4 ph'd water and then fed with 1/2 strength nutes(1.5 tsp big bloom, 1 tsp grow big, 1 tsp tiger bloom) @6.5 pH
    8/4 things are looking worse, lower leaves yellowing from the outside towards the base. Also brown edges. Looks like potassium deficiency. Wasn't ready for a watering and got my CALiMAGic so I FOLIAR fed 1 tap CALiMAGic, 1 tsp big bloom @ 6.6pH
    8/6 I fed just PH'd water & CalMag @ 6.7pH

Due to a few secrecy reasons I've been rushed most times I check my babies recently so I haven't checked the runoff since 7/31

8/8 Flush. First gal = 1 tap calmag @6.6pH, 372ppm. runoff=6.2pH,495ppm. 2nd runoff= 5.9pH,599ppm. Flushed with 2nd Gal h2o(3/4 tsp calmag @6.6pH). Runoff=5.6pH,673ppm followed by 5.8pH, 550ppm.
    Fed 1tsp cal-mag, 1 tap grow bug, 1.5 tap tiger bloom @ 6.5pH. runoff=596ppm @ 6.3pH. Final = 625ppm @ 6.2pH.

I didn't figure out the last runoff was 6.2 until about an hour after she was put up (in a confined space I can't reach to feed so have to pull out.).

So 6.5pH went in, 6.2pH ran off, according to "the improved runoff test" on the auto flower network, you subtract the difference from the runoff. So 6.2 - 0.3= 5.9pH.
    I know that is too low and I guess will have to wait til my next watering to raise the pH. Is that test a decent test? Before I was just guessing the difference (the middle of 6.2 & 6.5).

I see no improvement yet. I think the deficiency has slowed but I don't really know. I see yellowing leaves are still turning more yellow and dying off.

My other plants don't appear to have a potassium deficiency. My pH AND ppm meter are both cheap. Wish I would've been able to afford better, but wasn't. I FINALLY have pH calibration on the way to KNOW my tests are correct. That's why I did so many run off tests.

15. Not sure what that is. But it doesn't look like any p deficiency I've ever seen. Overwatering can cause issues with the roots. That can cause all sorts of weird issues.

16. Thanks man, I'm actually talking about a potassium deficiency (k) not phosphorus. On "grow weed easy" there are some similar pics under potassium def and that was as close to anything that I could find.. I was more than likely closer to under watering up until the 1st of August. She was only being fed like once every 4 days. But I can tell drinks it faster now.. I did give an emergency feeding this past week but it was about due for it.. I'll definitely let her dry out well again to cross that off the list, thanks for the input brother!

17. I'd also if it's possible lift her out of the pot and peek at the roots. Make sure they are nice and white.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Okay, thanks sir! I didn't even think about doing that.. honestly have been afraid to do anything that might hurt the roots but I'm getting close to desperate. Can NOT wait to get my pH calibration solution and make sure all my numbers are totally right. I generally double check with my color pH test, but that's a hassle to do when I'm doing a lot of tests.

I've always read that autos don't need as much nutes and that you shouldn't ever feed over 1/2-3/4. I've been at 1/2 nutes for a few days and I have no nute burn.. only a few deficiencies. My plants outside(that have been fed the same, same strain, same age) are thriving.

Could it be that this one plant(the only one under LED) actually does need some more nutes? I know less is more so I'm not gonna up it unless that's what the consensus says, and I know it's more likely that it has enough nutes just can't absorb them.

Looking at all my numbers from 8/8, you can see my first bit of runoff from the flush is 495ppm. My water + calmag=372ppm by itself. So the runoff was really only 123ppm.

I don't even remember a feeding that low so doesn't that show that my plant is using the nutes?(assuming my ppm meter is still accurate, seems to be. My water is still at 170ppm when I check it and that's what it's been throughout the whole grow).

Again, this is my first grow and still trying to understand everything and get supplies I need. Thanks for all of the help!

19. Runoff to feed ratio seems ok to me. Seems like a lot of the odder things that go wrong come back to roots and environment. If that's your ppm in and out and your ph is good I'd look in that direction. Maybe some bugs in the soil. Or something with root rot. Like I said I don't really know what's wrong. But those are what I'd check if it were me.