How does my dog know it is time to eat?

Discussion in 'General' started by suburbantoker, Mar 10, 2008.

1. We feed our dog at 6:30 every night, but somehow, this dog knows it isn't actually 5:30, and is actually 6:30... This is blowing my mind right now..... :smoking:

2. dogs have a lot of weird senses like that, idk how explain it. I've heard of dogs going outside everyday like 5 min before the school bus comes home to drop off the kid....

3. hormones work on the body's schedule not daylight savings time :)

4. And on a side note for dogs, one of my best friends had to lay their dog down yesterday, it didn't mean much to me, but my friend was devastated, smoke one for him will you?

5. That's awful. I never fully understood how much an animal can mean to a person until I adopted my dog.

6. uuuuh, he probably just read the clock

hahahaha

7. Or he could have recognized things you do at a certain time of the day before he is fed. For example if you have a routine where you start dinner then feed the dog it will pick up on that.

8. its called classical conditioning
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning

9. Exactly! If everyone in your house does anything related to the time of day it is then things are normal to the dog. If everyone in your house didn't realize to set the clocks ahead I bet the dog wouldn't realize the time was off either. Plus, most dogs love to eat. You feed them and they eat it all, getting fed an hour earlier than usual doesn't make a difference, the dog will still eat it all right away.

10. No we kind of live a hectic schedule so there isn't any real "set time" for us to do things, so there weren't any clues. Every day at 6:20 he goes and sits by his bowl. Today he did it at 5:20.

11. my dog would never eat like that ever he always eats over time

12. an interal time mechenism

13. Easy... They learn, just like anyone else. Of course this has already been said. Prime example is hitting the dinner bell every night. Pretty soon your dog will pick up on the fact that when that bell rings, he knows dinner is about to start. Some dogs are just really smart though.

I find it amazing how dogs can sense danger. My dog wasn't the brightest but he could tell the difference between someone being playful and someone trying to hurt one of the family members. I wish I could think like different animals and communicat within species. That would be very interesting.

14. You people aren't understanding what the OP is asking. Obviously after a while a dog will figure out when dinner time is, but the OP is asking how did the dog know to compensate for the hour that we set out clocks ahead?

15. ^^^ Werd... It isn't any sort of conditioning, and even after I tried to explain it people still wouldn't listen, this dog somehow KNEW that it was time to eat... Fucking strange as hell.

16. Dogs have a very strong sense of smell and hearing. He probably got stoned from being around you and was anticipating his dinner. He must have recognized the smell of his food.

17. HE DID IT AGAIN!!! with the clocks going back an hour I would assume he would be hungry an hour earlier, BUT NO!

18. dogs know whats up, I used to walk my neighbors dog when I was younger everyday at the same time. They were always waitnig for me, and when I was late they would start barking

19. dude my dog doesn't adjust to the new time change right away. it takes a couple of days, usually by increasing her dinner time by 15-20 minutes each day. for example, she's usually fed at 6pm, which is 5pm today. we'll feed her at 5:15 today, 5:30 tomorrow, and so on until she is used to the 'new' 6pm.

as you said though, i am always impressed with her internal clock. especially in the middle of the night at 4:30am when we allow her to come up. she wakes up from a deep sleep +/- 15 minutes of that time each morning to ask to be invited up in the bed. and she is never far off. :)