Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

how does marijuana affect female hormones?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by sp4rk, Jan 27, 2011.

1. just a quick question of how marijuana affects the female hormones.I've read that it causes irregular menstrual cycles but i cant find any real sources. any insight on this anyone?

2. you wanna know about estrogen or progesterone or both ?

3. both would be excellent

4. #4 SwanSong, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
    ive never noticed a correlation between my period and my smoking. ;)

5. READ!

Marijuana: interaction with the estrogen receptor (abst - 1983)
    Marijuana: interaction with the estrogen receptor. ? JPET

Marijuana Effects on the Endocrine and Reproductive Systems (full - 1984)
    http://archives.drugabuse.gov/pdf/monographs/44.pdf

Acute effects of marihuana smoking on prolactin levels in human females.
    (abst - 1985)
    Acute effects of marihuana smoking on prolactin levels in human females. ? JPET

Tolerance to the luteinizing hormone and prolactin suppressive effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol develops during chronic prepubertal treatment of female rats. (abst - 1986)
    Tolerance to the luteinizing hormone and prolactin suppressive effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol develops during chronic prepubertal treatment of female rats. ? JPET

Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women. (abst - 1991)
    Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, ... [Drug Alcohol Depend. 1991] - PubMed result

THREE THINGS MARIJUANA DOESN'T DO (news - 1992)
    http://www.lycaeum.org/paranoia/marijuana/facts/3-mj-myths

How might cannabinoids influence sexual behavior? (full - 2001)
    How might cannabinoids influence sexual behavior?

Dysregulated Cannabinoid Signaling Disrupts Uterine Receptivity for Embryo Implantation (full - 2001)
    Dysregulated Cannabinoid Signaling Disrupts Uterine Receptivity for Embryo Implantation ? JBC

Regulation of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Secretion by Cannabinoids
    (full - 2005)
    Regulation of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Secretion by Cannabinoids

Jekyll and Hyde: Two Faces of Cannabinoid Signaling in Male and Female Fertility (full - 2006)
    Jekyll and Hyde: Two Faces of Cannabinoid Signaling in Male and Female Fertility -- Wang et al. 27 (5): 427 -- Endocrine Reviews

Cannabis reward: biased towards the fairer sex? (full - 2007)
    Cannabis reward: biased towards the fairer sex?

Male-female differences in the effects of cannabinoids on sexual behavior and gonadal hormone function. (abst - 2009)
    Male-female differences in the effects of cannabin... [Horm Behav. 2010] - PubMed result

How important are sex differences in cannabinoid action? (abst - 2010)
    How important are sex differences in cannabinoid a... [Br J Pharmacol. 2010] - PubMed result

Those should answer your questions in full.

And the only effect I ever noticed with cannabis and periods, it that it eased the cramps!

Granny :wave: