How Does Cannabis Work? Very cool BBC Documentary

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, May 6, 2010.

1. Ever wondered how Cannabis really works? Who were the first people to get high? How does Marijuana affect our minds and how did our enjoyment of Cannabis evolve? This very interesting and informative section of a BBC documentary about Cannabis goes some way to answering those questions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpV6licCOMw]YouTube - How Cannabis Works[/ame]

2. Very interesting

3. The ironic thing is it took years after discovering the CB receptors for us to find out that our bodies make their own endogenous cannabinoids as well. It puzzled scientists why we had receptors until they made that discovery. Now we know there are more than one of them too. They are used both to mediate pain, just as endorphins (natural opiates) are as well as to modulate the immune system.

4. ...So all people are potheads?

Guess we can legalize now

5. Don't tell the police that, they might take your kids from you if you test positive for cannaboids produced inside your own head.

6. In the video it talked about a creature eating a plant and "getting stoned" off of it. But as we very well know, we don't get high if we were to just eat a marijuana plant. I'm curious if it evolved to be that way or for some other reason? :smoking:

7. You can get high by eating raw, undried cannabis. It's just very wasteful. A cow or deer or human or ape who filled their belly with it would get high from it.

8. Yeah, and they wouldn't be worried about how much they consume at a given time either so it would make perfect sense that they could ingest enough undried cannabis to get high

9. Yep. A small percentage of the THC on a green plant is already decarboxylated, meaning the acid form (THC-A) has become delta-9 THC, the stuff that gets you high.

Drying increases that. Heating via cooking, vaping, or smoking increases it more.

10. Touche, I don't plan on filling up on cannabis anytime soon though :smoke:

11. Cows and deer etc have more stomachs and produce alcoholic juices, from my understanding. It's far more effective in cows because they have so many stomachs. Humans can't really get high off of it because we dont produce anything to convert the thc in our stomachs, where they do, got me? This is hard to explain, super blazed :p

12. You don't have to explain. I know quite a bit about cannabinoid chemistry. Yes, a human *can* get high on raw green weed. You just have to eat a lot because most of it has not decarboxylated.

13. sorry im quite blazed and i just keep zoning out for the 3 minutes of the vid i've tried to watch it like 3 times now i'll bookmark it and watch it later haha.

14. So are we all heroin addicts too then?

15. Mmm, i'm thinking buy a couple pounds of dank and find out for myself. :rolleyes:

But have you actually ever tasted raw marijuana? Tastes horrible.

16. Any chance someone knows the name of that documentary, looks interesting especially as the English media is generally completely opposed to cannabis. Also DriftingApart, Every chewed salvia? The taste of that stuff is god awful

17. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qscNnWhnkRM&feature=PlayList&p=38D11CFB24DB973B&playnext_from=PL&index=1&playnext=2"]YouTube- Cannabis The Evil Weed 2009 1of6[/ame]
    Here's a link to the documentary.
    These kinds of documentaries aren't too bad in the UK, not nearly as scaremongery as the papers.