How does a CF work?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Cyllas, Oct 2, 2013.

1. I have been scowering the internet looking, i know that they pull air through them and that cleans it, ive read that 1000x in the last hour...i cant find a patent, a picture of one cut in half ...nothing...i just want to learn how these damn things work so i can try to make my own...they cost ~70$ for a 6" one, thats rediculous...there just a tube with a smaler tube in that tube, with AC inbetween the tubes, and holes cut into the tubes for air to leak into and get pulled into the carbon...right?

2. Yep thats about it. As air contacts the carbon, odor is absorbed.

3. Pack activated carbon around a sponge material, and then seal that up with cheesecloth, then an outside based that will be sturdy and able to attach to tubing to an intake fan.

4. But what stops the air from just rushing through the center of the CF and not getting filtered? or does some reaction happen where the air diffuses through or form chemical bonds or something?

Or is that that point of filling the center with the sponge material, or i could put CF filters in the middle and fill the sides with the charcoal stuff, to maximize smell resistance and diffusion

5. You have to match your filter to your fan. If your fan over powers the filter it will pull the air through to fast and not have enought contact with the odor to scrub it. As long as you do not over power the filter, in theory no air should pass by the charcoal without being scrubbed.

6. ive got 8 plants, and im only aloud to have them if i can keep odor under control, so im thinking i might just take the hit and buy one...since a homemade one would have to work pretty well to stop all that odor 

I might still try and make one, but for the cost of buying 1 and making 1 idk if i can even do it

7. Youve been scouring the internet and can't figure out how carbon filters work?

Look harder.