How Do You Wash Your Buds?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Icemud, May 7, 2014.

1. Hey everyone,

Now before you guys get all negative and start dissing the idea, hear me out.

I have been doing this for a while now, and the technique was brought to my attention by a very respected grower.

How do you wash your buds?

After I harvest my buds, I wet trim them (sugar leafs and waterleafs), and before hang drying them, I get a nice cool (not cold) bath of r/o water ready, adding a very little amount of baking soda and a little lemon juice. I gently rinse each bud in the wash, agitating it underwater for about 15 seconds a bud, and then the buds get rinsed in a clean r/o water bath. After the buds have been washed, rinsed they are now ready to hang dry.

Now, what the purpose of this is... To clean off "pollution" off your buds before consumption. What I mean by "pollution" is dust, dander, foliar sprays, any pests/bugs or anything else that keeps your product from being pure.

The other purpose of this is to help make your buds a cleaner, smoother smoke with a better flavor profile.

So before you knock this method, please try it. Your buds will not mold (as long as you dry them in the right conditions, slow moving air, 50-60% humidity). I can almost guarentee once you have washed your buds, you will always want to wash your buds, the smoking experience is that much better, plus you have the confidence of knowning your buds are pure from any contaminents.

Hope you guys enjoy, I now have washed about 5 harvests, and will never do it any other way...

The drying/curing process is exactly the same, its just 1 extra step before drying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUslI7gv1A

2. It will cause you to lose half your trichomes. I use a similar method when I prepare trim to make hash, the idea of this is to separate the trichome heads from the vegetable matter

3. Fresh material in slightly cold water will not knock off all your trichs lol, it would have to be frozen water and you would have to be rought with them, I doubt OP is destroying his nugs in that bath, the point of the bath makes sense though. sort of like harvesting a plant with PM, dip the colas in a very mild h2o2 bath and then rinse before drying.

How do you like dry trimming compared to wet? I've always felt my herb tastes better dry trimming.

4. I never said ALL of them. And your idea is bathing the bud in h2o2? I'm out of this conversation, it's gone from daft to the ridiculous

5. Can you read? I said if you have PM, wash in 10% solution then rinse in water.

this is not new unheard of shit here...

6. #6 Blazeman Bud, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    I don't see smoking weed soaked in h2o2 is good for u

7. who said anything about smoking weed soaked in h2o2? looks like you cant read either :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Good shit op!!! Might have to try this on some of my outdoor

9. Thats not true unless you are using Ice cold water which makes trichomes brittle and you are not beating and mashing the buds...just a 15 second rinse....  You also do this as soon as the buds are cut from the plant.. so the trichomes are not brittle yet.

You will lose more trichomes breaking up your bud to smoke than washing them... the wash is worth the 1 or 2 trichomes you lose.

10. I usually wet trim and the buds turn out great. I havent really dry trimmed because my drying cabinet is small and I can't hang whole branches/plant, just smaller 1' long branches or less.

Yeah, dude is one of those people who will hate on things until everyone else is doing it.... I've washed my buds many times and never lost any trichomes...like you said, the water would have to be ice cold, and the buds very roughly handled to knock off trichomes...  :)

I did the PM dip once in the H2O2 but it didn't really remove all of it...the H2O2 did kill it though :)

11. Its ok to be close minded, but don't call something rediculous until you have either evidence proving it doesnt work or you have tried it and it didn't work. Do a google search and you will find, washing buds is becomming more common... matter of fact..ever left a dresser go for 1 month without dusting it? usually 1 month you can wipe a finger and see a line in most homes...now imagine how much dust is falling on your plants for a 2-3 month flowering time...

Now that dust thats around your house...90% of that is human skin... so if you like to smoke human skin by all means don't wash your buds...but don't call someone's idea that actually works well rediculous, because the only one that looks rediculous is the one who comments on something without being educted on the matter....

• Like Like x 1
  12. H2O2 is water with an extra oxygen molecule.  H2O2 turns to water and oxygen gas when heated, therefore it wouldn't effect you in any way smoking a bud that was washed in hydrogen peroxide.

H2O2 is recommended to be sprayed on veggies and fruit before you put it in the fridge to kill off bacteria...

H202 is a common mouthwash for helping with teeth whitening, canker sores, and cuts.

H202 is actually produced naturally by the body to fight infection...

Also, if using peroxide, it would only need a 3% solution, not a 35% solution...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. #13 long tokes, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020

14. a persons opinion is only as good as their experience. Instead of knocking it i will do a side by side. Hmm which one of these amazing buds is going to smoke best  :bongin:  :yay: I love science

• Like Like x 1
  15. lol washing your buds only makes them better. they get rained on out side and they are fine unless it pounds the hell out of them for a while 

16. I wouldn't put water to anything after it is cut

17. if you know how to dry properly you'll have no issues. This is really only necessary in dry/dusty grows.

• Like Like x 1
  18. If you know how to grow properly, you'll have no reason fo' this shyte.

just sayin'

19. lol if you are growing outdoors with no greenhouse/hoops and in a dusty/windy area then you will have dirt in your nugs, doesnt matter how good of a grower you are. doesnt mean you cant grow properly at all, thats just ignorant as fuck.

• Like Like x 3
  20. This works really good. Did this for my personal bud when I smoked the actual flower. Never had any mold.

However washing a moldy bud in h2o2 may kill the mold spore but does little to get rid of the toxins that are actually the problem. Mold has two main toxins that are blamed for the negative health effects of mold. There is only one theoretical way to use moldy bud and it's not proven in the lab.

• Informative Informative x 1