How do you wash/clean Activated Carbon?!

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by thesmokemaker, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Okay I've been looking up on google for a while on how to clean and dry activated carbon but came up with nothing. If anyone knows how, could you help me out?

Thanks.

2. oH YES, carbon filters are the best!

To clean your carbon, pour a few ounces of it into a small or short glass, fill it with water and strain the water out, keep doing this until you see less and less black dusty water.

Keep in mind that you wont be able to get it to run completely clear, just do the best you can, because inhaling the dust is dangerous. Try to clean in a well ventilated area.

After rinsing the carbon for a while, let the carbon just sit in the glass of water for a little while, maybe an hour, then keep rinsing like you did before.

Dry it by gently placing it on paper towels. Let it air dry until its completely dry, try not to agitate the carbon too much or there will be excess dust.

Tip: replace the carbon for every gram or so that is smoked through it. Enjoy!!

3. Do i need to wash the carbon each time after i smoke?.. Or its just one time thing until the next change?.. :$

4. Holy old thread man.

You don't need to wash the carbon after each use.
    You're washing the dust off that creates in the bag with movement. This is why you shouldn't pre-wash all your carbon, because it'll create more dust by the time you use it.

Deez has the correct method. I just use a fine screen strainer, put the carbon in, and rinse under the tap for a while. I don't change the carbon every gram though, I would put half an ounce through it.

5. I just strain a few uses worth and put it in a medicine bottle to store. Unless you move it or shake it around, it wont create any more dust from just sitting in there.

6. It still gets used up and no longer works after a while I've heard