Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How do you test for THC content in bud?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Chronicdruguser, Jul 15, 2011.

1. just curious but how do dispensaries test for potency of their bud?

2. #2 reeferer420, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
    you gotta measure out a precise gram of bud and somehow seperate the THC from it. weigh it and thats your pertcentage.

at first my stoned ass mind was going to put chronometer ahaha chron...

EDIT: this is only one method...probably outdated and time consuming anyway.

3. damn I was hoping that I could buy a solution or something as if testing thc was as easy as testing PH lol :p

4. They send a sample to a chemical analysis lab! My local dispensary owner is about to find out if a more local lab will do the analysis- she has to send stuff to the next big city at the present. :cool:

A guy named Joseph, who shows up at Cannabisnews fairly regular basis has a lab, but was having some legal hassles, so I don't know if he is doing it now!

At a shindig up in Oregon, I met a dude from Wilsonville who did THC analysis for private people and dispensaries. We had a nice chat about medical uses, CBD and more.

Then I have seen test kits for sale here and there, but I am not too certain about their accuracy. But their presence is a good sign of things to come! I wonder when Consumer's Report will do an evaluation of the kits! lol :confused_2:

So checking THC /CBD content is becoming a real business. :hello:

Granny :wave:

5. maybe a titration of some sort, you would need a compound that reacted with THC though, and a basic chemistry setup.

6. This is how they test the potency...every Saturday all the owners of the dispensaries get together (with Johnny Depp on the right) and swap new strains

[​IMG]

7. there is a chemical process that gives a precentage... the kits can be bought to do it but its like 200 bucks for 5 tests i think ? but the chemical test is the only true one that works , some people will put it under a magnifiy glass and count the resin glands per milimetre or something like that and give it a thc content based on that but this is simply innacurate because THC is in the resin gland , but is not the resin gland its self anyways. .. but yeah the chemical test is the proper way..look up THC precentage test on google or something and im sure the product i was speaking of will pop up