How do you stop the ego becoming corrupted?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by esseff, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Let's say I go into politics, with all the best intentions, to do the most good. I understand that to get into a position of power where I can make a difference will take time.

Along the way I start to get somewhere, and like many, I enjoy having nice things. Good food, expensive toys, holidays, etc. I like the feeling I get from doing my job, and I see those who have more powerful positions as having the most interesting time and experiences.

I want to experience what they do, and as the possibility gets closer, and as I enjoy more and more benefits, I get used to them, and the longer I do so the more it matters that I keep my place and the less it matters about why I chose to do it in the first place.

Wait…now hold on a minute! What about those who feel called to serve? They feel honoured to be serving. They never forget that they are there only because others wanted them to be.

Ok. So how do we know who makes a good representative then?

If we carry on doing it as we do now, choosing from people who tell us why they are right for the job, we lose sight of the fact that to want to be there at all they already want something for themselves, and when you want something for yourself, you tend to find a way to appear to be ‘the one’ so you will get it.

To take up office, and serve us well, they must have lived a real life amongst ordinary people with the feeling of connection that comes from that, and no career politician will ever have that. The honour of representing us has to be GIVEN to someone we respect and trust FIRST if we ever want things to work.

The President appears to have the final say in what happens. But a democracy is not a dictatorship, so a bloke sitting in a white house, not all that different from a modern day Queen sitting on a throne, is still just a figure head, and it is the legislature, the representatives, that have the real power.

So the villain in the pantomime is having a ball revealing his ideas, seeing what he can get away with, while it remains all about money as usual, and he never loses sight of his own bottom line.

And this thing, designed to scare and eventually take more of our freedoms, while definitely shaking things up, will actually end up doing the opposite. It will free us from this nonsense, as it becomes as preposterous as it is real, so that a shift takes place…

…and once people see what is really going on, in seeing it, it changes what we care about, what we really focus on, as the idea of what we don’t want no longer pulls at us to resist it. Currently, the illusion is having to shout quite loud to convince us that it is real.

While many enjoy a life that is easier, preferring the ‘matrix’ and wanting it to stay in place, the fact is that it was never sustainable to live like this; we have been destroying the planet for some time now just to come close.

I like what Woody Harrelson once said – as an anarchist he believes we would be better off doing it on our own.

The idea that anarchy leads to marauding gangs taking over the streets only exists in the post-apocalyptic world of the writer, as the truth is we are quite capable of doing things ourselves, taking responsibility for our actions, and sharing what we make, grow and do, in peace and love. Maybe we should give that a try.

2. Start with arguing how and why capitalism is destroying the earth.
    Seems like you got the character thing down.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Capitalism is motivated by profit. Profit uses resources in a way that isn't always sustainable. Just look at the oil industry, or especially the logging industry, and see how the earth is nothing but a resource ball where the ends always justify the means. Far too many unethical practices. It's as if using the earth up doesn't matter in the slightest. Killing off or contaminating are just unfortunate by products.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. How do you stop the ego becoming corrupted?

Only when one awakes, and realises that the body is only a vessel that allows the soul to traverse this physical world in order to observe, learn and love.

In reality, what we are doing here is nothing more than enriching our souls to the point where we no longer need to incarnate and can move into the realm of pure consciousness;
    *Nirvana*

It's a catch 22. Without the ego, we wouldn't last a minute here. But if you let it take over,
    and believe that this what you're experiencing (physical/material) is the reality; well, quess what? You're going to have a big surprise when your body
    "Gives up the ghost"

The fact is, you (everyone) are not that being you see in the mirror. That story you have created for yourself is simply for this round of learning. The real you is forever, eternal. It's just energy and energy never dies; rather, only changes form.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. I think one key to trying to become incorruptible is to pin your being to higher morals/truth instead of ego.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Go to a children's cancer hospital and look at the little kids suffering. If that doesn't humble you then you are beyond help (Not you personally). Without self awareness and empathy the ego will take over. Be humble my friend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. That is a good idea

• Like Like x 1
  8. A little twist on the theme, but even going out of your way to help others makes you feel good, it could be argued that selflessness is still a way for people to feed their ego's?

9. I think I would characterize that as feeding your soul rather than feeding your ego. Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Be humble! Remember we are broken, imperfect and faulted. It's just natural we are only human we come from broken dysfunctional origins.

Be humble.

It's ok to have an ego however don't let it get too large without any regard for others.

• Like Like x 3
  11. There are psychological disorders, namely narcissism, that make it virtually impossible for the afflicted person to become humbled. The ego is fully in control, and lacking compassion and empathy (for others and themselves) they will never "see the light". Their seed was planted at a very young age and the ego has taken over as a defense mechanism to their early psychological injuries. They have zero sense of self. They tear people down to protect themselves and feel powerful, thus the term "egomaniac". A narcissist would more likely be disgusted by the sight of sick children than to feel any compassion, empathy or humility.

If the OP is referring to a person with good intentions who comes from a place of compassion and empathy but then finds himself in a position of power, chances are that this person does have the self awareness to "stay grounded" and feel for themselves and others. They say that all the time to young pro athletes who suddenly find themselves in a place of fame and fortune. Stay grounded and don't lose touch of where you came from. In the end, self awareness allows the person to find ways of giving back and be less likely to form a corrupt ego. They are the ones who can be aware enough that the ego is trying to take over, and then do something about it. Charity work, coaching, going to hospitals to make someone smile etc... Self awareness is mandatory in trying to check ones ego and prevent corruption. Soul searching is another term for that. You realize that you are getting out of control and find ways of bringing yourself back. In order to do that requires that you had a sense of self to begin with. Self awareness is the key.

I'm not a PhD so I could be wrong about some of this as far as ego and narcissism but I think I'm close.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sounds reasonable, good post IMO

• Like Like x 1
  13. Well I was raised by a narsacist and I am technically a text book narsacist.

14. This was fascinating

• Like Like x 1
  15. So is my wife.

16. That audio describes my wife exactly. I have often described her as emotionally being a child. I know how it happened but its beyond the scope of this thread.

For those who can take inventory of themselves and act on the negative things they find on the shelf, acting on it in a positive way is how to avoid corruption of the ego.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Absolutely fascinating isn't it?

Start giving her that cold therapy lol

18. I do it by dosing with my medicine

19. Reminds me of a quote from ACIM the channeled books from the 70's suppoesedly from Jesus or perhaps Minnie Mouse.. whatever it's heavy sh*t.. This is not directed to any select individual but to all of us.

"If you knew the True meaning of giving, you would laugh at the idea of sacrifice."

• Like Like x 1