How do you safely reuse soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by plugged, Apr 12, 2008.

1. I have about 20 gallons of used Black Gold organic soil here in trash bags that I'd like to reuse. The only thing in it from the previous grow is the roots and maybe a few stray leaves.

What should I do to safely reuse it in a new grow?

2. mix it with new soil like 1/3 old 2/3 new and add some perlite it might even have some more orangic ness in it if it was used to grow before that shit is decomposed and should be pretty fertile

3. Doesn't anything need to be done to sterilize it?

4. yeah you can just straight up reuse it and cut it maybe half to 1/3rd old soil. No sterilization needed these aren't psilocybe cubensis mushrooms, then you want to sterilize a medium.

5. I'm only worried about sterilizing it because it's been sitting in these bags for a good month or two now. If I were to just add it to some plants that need more soil, without adding new soil, would that be safe?

Basically I have some plants, the soil has compacted and I need to add more, but I'd prefer to use this old stuff for it instead of buying more. I CAN buy more, I just want to get rid of the old stuff if I can :)

6. I wouldn't see why it would be a problem if you are worried make sure to leave the bags open so some air gets to the soil, maybe turn it for a couple weeks if you are really concerned.

7. good post hatter, never disappointed by our man Ed he knows his shit. ;)