How do you regulate ph in soil using lime??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jah of Light, Mar 20, 2011.

1. How do you regulate ph in soil using lime??
    I am curently using organic pete moss, vermiculite, and perlite. I have added lime to counter act the acidity of the pete moss. My soils ph is is 7 no less no more. my ? is how much lime is to much and how much lime should i use. i am growing medi bud and LOJ. The plants are super healthy but i would like to lower the PH to 6.6 6.7ish. I use 1 equal part of each medium. What ratio of lime would i use?

2. i would like to bump this question since i am also curious as to its answer. i'm also using the same medium combination (although my ratio is 2 parts vermiculite + 2 parts perlite + 1 part peat moss).

3. Dolomite lime....tablespoon per

4. pardon my stupidity.

tablespoon per what exactly?

5. "I" add dolomite to my mix at the rate of 2tbl/gallon of mix, or 1 cup/CuFt of mix. It is the second ingredient when I make a batch of mix.

In the future, you really ought to lose the vermiculite, the peat moss retains enough moisture on its own and the vermiculite can mess with your soil pH, besides retaining too much moisture.

My basic mix is around 40% peat moss, 30%+ Perlite and 20% Earthworm castings and like 11 different amendments.

Wet

6. thanks for the comment wet :)

i did not know that vermiculite can mess with the pH. i've read that peat moss does this and one should not use more than 20% peat moss. perhaps that is a mistake?

7. Never heard that 20% thing about peat moss. Earthworm castings, yes, they can make the mix too heavy, but won't burn anything.

Peat moss is very acidic and the lime is a necessity. I've been making my own mix for over 30 years and the peat moss makes up 40-50% of the mix and about the same of perlite. It gets varied for different applications. I grow a lot of other stuff besides mj.

I quit using vermiculite years ago, mainly because it caused the mix to retain too much water and was causing problems. The peat retains enough on its own.

Wet

8. your advice is appreciated wet. thanks.