How do you pay for college

Discussion in 'General' started by MrCleanKicks, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Long story short, sophomore in college. Parents arent helping pay for college or anything for that matter. I go to U of Illinois in Champaign so its kinda pricey, not to mention I ave my own apartment and the gov only gave me 2000 in scholarships. How do you pay for your college education and living expenses if you are?

2. Student loans. Basically, it's a long-term loan that they give out to students, which you use for your schooling expenses (Including food, apartment, etc), which is payed back later.

Good luck.

3. My parents, but only makes sense because they spent my college funds....
    And theres no way i would peronally allow myself to get student loans..

4. Pell grant

5. Fuck debt.

6. me and my parents are splitting it. my bank is still postive after 1 year at a community college. im transfering to another community college next year that is furthur away so i am moving out also. hopfulle im still postitive after next year.

7. I wait tables.

8. fucking work man! and theres nothing wrong with student loans, lots of people get them just make sure you put that money to good use and get an education!

9. By not going :cool:

10. #11 grizzlybearman, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
    Try applying to outside scholarships. Apparently there's a ton that go unclaimed every year. Some guy in my school got $500 for being left-handed, just by applying.

Other than that, it's all just loans. You have to be careful with that, though. Getting a major in this kinda economic shithole of a time just for the sake of getting one isn't a good idea if you're doing something like History and taking on 60k debt to do it. I know plenty of people at my local retail job paying off 300-400 dollar loan payments a month..One guy has them for the next 10-15 years..You have to factor in a lot of shit, 'cause even textbooks will be a good ~500 dollars a semester most times. That's another 4 grand you'll have to pull out of your ass later. And paying ~300 a month for student loans after graduating, while paying a car bill, insurance bill, food bill, and rent bill can really keep you locked

Just have a plan and a career path, and do your best to succeed in it. Getting a history major without wanting to be a teacher, for instance, might land you in a pile of shit. 60,000 dollars worth of shit you can't get off your head. So yeah, you'll prob have to work while you go to school. Most of the kids at my college have it all paid for by mom and dad. And I bet half of them wouldn't go to college if they had to pay for it themselves.

11. Combo of grants/scholarship and work, my tuition isn't too bad. Sadly most of what I make at work goes right to tuition and the rest towards car insurance and gas.

At least I'm not going to have loans hanging over my head when I graduate

12. I work and split it with my parents.

13. Line of credit.. parents help.. i'm in co-op so my work placements help a lot.

14. Financial aid

15. Work every day all day. I am a farmer, and take a class through the local tech school which is only a few hours, once every week. I dont get a diploma or anything, but it helps me make management decisions and has been worth every penny.

16. For me it was work, quite a bit of work, but for I part time job I get paid at a good hourly rate ($17.50 an hour). Other than that, under the table work here and there did me a world of difference aswell.
    But if you have to, student loans are you best bet

17. I worked for a year before I started my first year training so I had a few grand saved up as a down payment, but that really only but a small dent in my first year tuition. I ended up working full time (night shift) at a gas station that worked around my school schedule and I paid off the rest of my tuition for that year. But I also lived with my parents during this so I didn't have any other bills to pay.
    Second and third year of training I had government grants, and government assistance since they had a program for apprentices. I also had worked a lot before my second and third year so I had money saved for what ever the government didn't cover.

It was really nice not having to take any kind of debt for it. Mind you I did have to pay taxes on the money they gave me the following tax season, but that all leveled out once I was working.

18. I am in college and so is my 20 year old son.

I'll start with me. I am retired but that doesn't mean I am rich. I take student loans and pay cash for my living expense.

My son is on a Athletic Scholarship that pays for some and he works 35 hours a week. If that doesn't cover I send his some living money and if need be he will take student loans to pay the rest.

This is mostly for the people saying Fuck Work. Except that guy who said fuck work, get loans but don't piss the money away (on weed is what he means). At no point was it ever a law or anything that parents would pay for college. If your parents pay for any of it you should consider yourself fortunate. The money that they give you for school is their vacation or retirement money. Every dollar they give you is one they can not spend on themselves. I think it is pretty shitty that the Pell Grants figure off what your parents make. Beings they do not have to give you any money why would they base your approval on your parents income. It's BS.