Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

how do you not cough (get used to the smoke)

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sweethatred, Jul 20, 2009.

1. You kind of answered it yourself there buddy...

"get used to smoke"

2. smoke everyday ans you'll get used to it botched

3. IMO after smoking everyday or there abouts for about 5 years (im only 19 so no responsibility's :D) i cough the same amount from a bong now as i do when i first started which is a damn lot lol I wish I didnt because it causes me to get headaches but whatever ive always been envious of people with iron lungs

4. just gotta man up

5. You kind of have the answer in your question, you get used to the smoke.

6. I cant cough anymore :p
    iron lungs.
    really depends on the person and of course with experience your lungs get used to it

7. take smaller hits. no point in taking bigger hits and then coughing them out. you're just wasting perfectly good thc. also, don't inhale it as u hit it. pull it into ur mouth then inhale so smoke mixes with air. hold it for 1-2 seconds then exhale slowly.

8. #68 DayJaVu, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
    You don't "get used" to smoke, ever. What happens is that when you smoke consistantly, usually daily, the heated smoke that you inhale kills the cilia lining your lungs. These cilia are responsible for sweeping debris out of your lungs, which causes you to cough and feel irritation. If you take a couple days off from smoking, the cilia grow back and return to clearing debris out of your lungs. That's what causes the infamous "smoker's cough" when people quit smoking. It is because the newly grown cilia are cleaning the tar out of their lungs. The only way to get used to the smoke is to destroy your lungs. Smoke everyday or at least every other day. Don't give your lungs a chance to heal.

Or get a vape. =P

9. try exhaling through your nose. for some reason it seems to help, especially with the vape. Oddly enough, the first time I used a vape it made me cough terribly even though I had already gotten used to smoke. exhaling through my nose seems to suppress the coughing reflex somehow. 

also Milk, keep a glass of milk on hand and drink some right after the hit. works wonders.

coughing can actually be a good thing though, as it cleans your lungs a bit. I always force myself to cough a bit after I finish, or if my chest is feeling kind of tight.

10. I've been smoking for quite some time, and I still cough. It isn't anything to be embarrassed about and it doesn't mean you aren't doing it right, it just means you got a gnarly hit ;) you toke, you choke.

11. Just keep smoking you'll get used to it but for some people it could take awhile. I was a 1.7-2G a day smoker for about 3 months and by the end I would still get coughing fits. Just keep some water by you for when you get a coughing fit. I'll tell ya I never drank so much water than I did in those 3 months,

12. you get used to it but you'll still cough a little bit.  get a bong with an icecatcher, itll cool the smoke.

I'd say the hottest thing to smoke out of is a pipe.  Joints are hot too, blunts not as bad as joints.  

13. tolerance.... once you've smoked for like 5 years steady coughing won't even be in your nature

14. Everyone coughs... But, yes, your lungs will acclimate to the smoke.

15. #76 SiriusWolff, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
    inhale fast exhale slow

16. Just keep smoking and eventually your lungs will get used to it. However by used to it that dosn't mean you wont go into coughing fits ever again. I have been daily smoking for years and everytime I rip the bong I usually spend a solid 30-90 seconds coughing. Depends on the weed too, not just the strain but also how well it has been cured.

17. One of my buddys has been smoking for years now, bongs, blunts, joints, everything and still coughs every time :bongin:

18. Take smaller, but more frequent hits until you get used to the feeling of the smoke hitting your throat and lungs.  As you get more experienced you'll be able to take bigger hits.  Water pipes help.

19. I almost always end up coughing. Regardless how long ive smoked. But there is a diference between coughing mildly and coughing your lung out.