How do you make beats?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Ilovejane, Nov 8, 2011.

1. I am starting to write music but i need to know how to make beats. Is there some site to pay for or am i gonna have to fet a certain system? Help me out blades.

2. Get reason and download fantom, motif, and triton and other refills..get a midi controller and look up how to make beats on reason

3. Buy a maschine mikro and you'll be set for life on beats. That or get VST's and FL Studio. PM me if you need further help.

4. call your house and wait for the machine to pick up ... start pounding the ground with your face to the tempo of your liking.... dont forget the bridge beat... get said recording and use your mic on your computer to import the sound on to your HD.... convert to some crazy file format.... degrade audio quality to almost unrecognizable .... viola ..... instant recipe to make a Jay-Z hit.... except yours will have better production quality....

5. download a digital audio work station like fl studio.

ive been learning for the past 3 weeks, and i am learning so much.

6. You can find some less expensive programs that you can put on your computer and then get CD's that are full of royalty free samples. I used to have a basic program with several discs full of beats and samples....I made a CD with 11 songs on it and spent less than $150 to do it

Or you can jump right in if cost isn't and issue and get an advanced system. It depends on you

:)

7. well you have a lot of work on your hands.

first like was said is u need a daw which stands for Digital audio work station.

this will do all the stuff u need ie, sequance MIDI and record audio mix it etc.

do a google search on a list of DAWs and then go on you tube and see people using it. find one that works for u. reason is a really good start up program but you cant add other sounds to it like plug ins and VSTis which are instruments

dont listen to most of the people here cos they wont give you very good advice.

your best bet is to go to youtube and learn tutorials on how to make music with the program you want to use.

AS you do that u NEED to know how to make music. not just use the program

so you need to STUDY music. listen to the best of the best weather u like them or not in all genera of music

timbaland
    Hi tek
    dr dre
    portishead
    the police
    jimi hendrix
    Peter Gabriel
    rolling stones

etc

learn how every instrument is in volume and pan to eachother, how they leave room for eachother to "play"

how bass lines are usaly used in styles and moods of music, how the drums are, how the kick and the snare interact with eachother, etc

you have a shit ton load of work a head of you sir, good luck ;)

8. logic pro.

9. Don't forget J Dilla, MF Doom, Kanye, and even Tyler, the Creator (He's a phenomenal producer)
    They all have incredible and unique production styles

Reason 5 is really easy to just jump in and start having fun with little knowledge about the program and how it works

10. Learn signal flow sun.

11. learn music theory

Ableton Live + Reason = best combo

12. Get a keyboard/synthesizer and maybe a drum machine. When you work with live sounds it will make your music actually sound unique.

Instead of these beats that have been done 314789897314278987904310899 times.

13. or you could download a bunch of vst's, learn how to mix, add effects to sounds and do whatever you want that way too. You dont need a keyboard Lex Luger and SouthSide made a bunch of their earliest popular beats strictly using desktops/laptops.

14. Man, started out with Fruity Loops 3 back in...what was it 2003?
    Worked with it for a couple years then stopped until I picked production back up more seriously in 2009, that's when I moved to Reason 4.

Reason get's the job done but the fact that you can't work too in-depth with sampling really bothered me, so I switched to Logic Pro 9 in 2010, got a bunch of Native Instrument packs, and along with a decent M-Audio keyboard and a Trigger Finger and I'd say it get's the job done even more so.

15. Get an MPC 2000 XL drum machine/sampler.