How do you keep your Grinder clean??

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by KGB Kermit, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Hey guys,

We all know the importance of a decent grinder. How do you guys keep yours in top condition?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Denatured Alcohol and a toothbrush.
    upload_2019-3-4_6-33-38.jpeg

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. I take mine apart and put it in a mayonnaise jar, then add alcohol until just submerged. Shake it around a bit, then leave it soak till tomorrow, when I shake it a little more and take it out and wipe down the remainder with a paper towel.
    Then pour the alcohol onto a plate and let it evaporate and scrape the dried residue which I add to a bowl of herb I will smoke.

Full circle.

• Like Like x 6
  4. I'm assuming the alcohol evaporates out of the kief as well? Does it leave a taste?

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.

—Bob Marley

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alcohol evaporates and leaves everything else behind.
    ISO will leave a taste. Everclear leaves minimal taste, if any that I can tell.
    I will smoke product from iso, but for making edibles I want something food grade quality.

Abuse is destructive.
    --Ronhip

• Like Like x 2
  6. I clean mine 2x a week every Wednesday and Sunday night with a brush and alcohol. OCD

• Like Like x 1
  7. When it comes to Human consumption I tend to use only food grade materials in my extraction even if I'm evaporating all the Alcohol.
    Food grade is drinkable and has high taxes (sin tax)
    Industrial or medical grades are both toxic, blinding cause death stuff. No tax so it's cheap and can be pure AKA 200 proof. Drinkable is not that pure hitting in the 190s at best.

For cleaning glass and marine Alcohol stoves use Denatured. 100% AKA 200 proof.
    Medical is ISO 70 to 90 %
    Everclear = 190-151-120 proof.

I clean glass and trimming tools with denatured as it's the most pure and cleans best having no water at all. But I don't save or use the residue from the tools either. As a backyard grower I don't need or miss the small amounts like that.
    BNW

8. Isopropyl alcohol or liquid nitrogen if you have massive testicles.

9. I use a brush and alcohol, only have to do it every so often

10. 91% alcohol

11. Find a suitable sized glass jar w/ a well sealing lid, drop your grinder inside, cover with Ever-Clear and close the lid. Be sure to shake a few times over 2 days. Pour off the alcohol into a flat Pyrex flat bottom dish. Keep in well ventilated area with minimal dust and such with a fan on it. When the alcohol is all but gone scrape it up and add it to a piece of parchment paper & allow to dry over a few days, done. RS Tears really. Just use Ever-clear, be safe and NO SMOKING while working with alcohol. The grinder will be very clean, I just wash it with dish soap and let it dry. Enjoy

12. I only ever clean one chamber: the screen

I almost only ever need to use a brush on it. I don't like soaking the screen in iso or getting it wet at all, if I can avoid it. so instead I try to just keep it well brushed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #14 hi_highthoughts, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Warm up scissors with lighter and scrub excessive matter, mainly from the borders. That's the fast way of "cleaning" your grinder or basically maintaining it clean enough so you can grind with him :D
    If you want deep cleaning and better results, use tips mentioned before

14. Well you can't beat Powdered Brewers Wash,PBW,for getting your glass and metal parts clean.I sometimes put my grinder in a pot of hot PBW for an hour or so and then use a toothbrush to get rid of any remaining gunk.I have a bucket with PBW in it and I usually dump all my vape parts,grinder included,into the pail and let it all soak overnight.Whip hose,all glassware and grinder are sparkling clean.The heat on stove method is my fast method but takes babysitting,the pail method is the lazy persons method,my go to choice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Started using grinders with removable/replaceable screens. I have a couple of them and change the screen as needed (about every 5-7 days), I take the dirty ones and put them in a tray...once i am on my last clean screen i clean all the dirty ones with ever clear and rinse with water.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I take my metal grinder, put it in a water cooker. Wait 5 minutes and its cleen..

17. I'll fill up a heavy duty zip lock up with 99% Iso alcohol and everytime I I finish grinding and smoking the 1/4 or half I'll scrape out the keif into a glass vial, take apart the entire grinder and let it soak in the bag of alcohol overnight, shake it up the next day, take out the grinder parts to let dry and keep the bag of alcohol which should be a tinge of green or blond for the next cleaning, after a couple months the alcohol should be a darker and thicker, run the alcohol through a filter and onto a glass pan, you can either just let all the alcohol dissolve by itself or speed up the drying by adding low heat. Once its completely dry then with whats left over in the pan can be scraped up and smoked. The better the flower the better the end product.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I’ve had the same SpaceCase grinder for about seven years, and it still works just as well, save for cosmetic wear & tear.

My routine is similar to what many others have suggested around once every six months:

1) Take apart grinder.

2) Set the kief tray aside, (or alternatively, clean out the kief tray and clean that as well.)

3) Fill a rocks/lowball glass with [BOLD]91-99% isopropyl alcohol.[/BOLD]

4) Let it sit for around one hour.

5) Shake/agitate the mixture. Transfer to plastic bag, re-agitate. For best results, agitate each piece individually.

6) Rinse vigorously with hot water.

7) Let it dry.

8) Enjoy increased kief production and smooth grinding!!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Winner Winner x 1