How do you keep a plant short?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Twanboat, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I just started to germinate my seeds for this seasons grow. Unfortunately i am have a hight restriction of 6ft (hight of my fence). Is there any way to manipulate the plant to keep it short but keep its yield?

2. If the plant is a photoperiod then if u minimise the vegetation time (the time the plant grows before flowering) then you can keep the plant at any height you wish. However if you do this then your yield might be decreased when you begin to flower the plant. Autoflowering plants could be tied down I guess with rope or trimmed if you know how to. Hope this helps. :)

3. look into lst

4. Could try growing in smaller pots - obviously this would affect the yield. Not sure if this would cause them to string out though.

5. #6 mjmama25, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    There are several things that will help.

Topping
    LST
    Growing straight in ground eliminates the height of a container, so that helps.

If you top, try waiting until the plant grows seven or 8 nodes, then top all the way at the second node. It will make the bottom branches be your main branches so you waste no height. They'll get thick and fat that way and it will eat a little time to grow to the 8th node then top that low. I wouldn't recommend small containers. It's like a death sentence.

6. as above plus consider growing some bamboo around it
    very similar leaves lol

"V"

7. #8 ThEbLuEMaGoO, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    ^ this, bamboo has amazingly close coloration and growth patterns and hides those MJ plants very well, also grows with a vengance. keep an eye on it if you do use it, it'll take your yard before you know it.

like so. i planted two little sprigs last summer to give my parrots some shade in the summer. shit grows like a plague.

Attached Files:

8. Man, sometimes I feel like I'm a thread killer.

9. I use string an pull open the plant. Also look into the wide smart pot. They are really low but really wide. Your plants will grow wider than taller. Pinching tops during veg helps to. They will stop growing up an start going out

10. I use string an pull open the plant. Also look into the wide smart pot. They are really low but really wide. Your plants will grow wider than taller. Pinching tops during veg helps to. They will stop growing up an start going out

11. Yeah LST sounds like your best bet, tie it down so it grows horizontally along the fence rather than over it.