how do you hook a pc fan to a grow box?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by greenbudguy, May 3, 2011.

1. I'm not using a PC box but I wanted to hook up a couple PC fans for exhaust and intake. The fans I saw only have these weird plugs to go inside a computer. How do I power the fans?

2. Cut the plugs off and wire to a DC adapter :)

3. #3 greenbudguy, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Cool! Easy! Thank you! I would have probably electrocuted myself or burnt down my home if I just tried wiring to regular AC cables

4. Haha, no worries. You can get adjustable voltage DC adapters no problem, or just use some old phone chargers or something. Then it's just a case of wiring positive to positive and negative to negative :) Good luck bro!

5. #5 greenbudguy, May 3, 2011
    Sweet thanks! How much do adjustable voltage DC adapters go for?

6. Not too sure, no more than about $20 I would've thought. I've just rigged up some old phone charger etc for the moment, they work fine and cost nothing ^^

7. #7 greenbudguy, May 3, 2011
    I might have a phone charger. I know I have a Nintendo DS charger that my rats ate through

8. It must be 9-14vdc aprox, the dc part is important vac doesnt work. Super nintendos have a nice big one could run alot of fans off one. Lots of thrift stores have a box of random powersuplies in their electronics dept. There are also tutorials on "jumpering" a pc powersuply to run with out a mobo you get lots of 12v plus 5v and 3v power the leds. The color codes of the wires are well documented for case modding and extreme overclocking/cooling.