How do you handle the "Pot talk" with your teenage kids?

Discussion in 'General' started by beginnergreen, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Now, I'm not going to say my age, but let me just say that I am quite far away from having kids. I plan to have one or two when I'm around 35. Now, Marijuana being a part of my life, and using it occasionally, and a strong supporter of the movement, I still do not know how i would handle the talk about it with my future teenage kids. I'll be honest. I would tell them the absolute truth about marijuana, and how its better than using the hardcore drugs out there, of which teens do get involved. I'd be blessed if i only saw my kid doing weed than cocaine, meth, tobacco, or alcohol. That being said, I'm still worried that they will take of what i said for granted, and continue using marijuana. The think is, is that, I am still a teenager(I probably shouldn't be saying this since I'm do not meet the requirements for the website registration, but hopefully you guys will let me stay) but I suffer a huge procrastination problem, and I understand Marijuana does not really help me at all with that problem. Neither should I be using it since I'm at a stage in life where my brain is still developing, and putting any type of drug, no matter how safe it is, I still believe it can do something. So putting marijuana in my body and brain at this stage isn't really the best thing( I have quite for this year and will most likely use it again next summer).
    That being said, I have quite because I want to and need to focus on my grades and studies for my goals to be achieved, such as getting into the college I want to.
    Now, the thing that bothers me, is that, if i run into the situation with my teenage kid using marijuana, like said before i will be honest with him or her, I just don't know how I would be give him my view. I personally feel I would be using Marijuana when I have kid, but not around him, and I don't want to give a view that doing Marijuana is exactly the best thing. Sure it's safe, but at the age, it should not be done since of brain development at his age, and to more focus on studies. That, and I just don't want my kid to become a daily smoker since I don't believe in daily use.
    I know I shouldn't be worried about this because I'm more than 20 years away from this, but it's just a situation in my curiousity of how I will entreat my kids about Marijuana use. And how to tell them that I don't want them using it at this age, or should I let them use it at occasion? And at the same time saying that Marijuana is harmless, because it just confuses the child.
    So my dear friends, how would you handle this situation. And thank you for taking the time to read this and responding.
    Thanks

2. When it comes down to it your kids are going to smoke if they want to. Pretty much regardless of what you tell them. I'm a twin and I LOVE smoking (I'm 16 an started around 13) But my sister has no desire to what so ever and freaks out at the thought of it.

Just be honest like you said and let nature take it's course I guess.. Don't worry ;)

3. I don't see that it needs much of a talk...

There's a plant called cannabis. Some people like to smoke it because of the depressant properties it possesses. Smoking is not good for your health, and cannabiniods alter your mood in ways that vary from person to person, sometimes perminantly.

done.

4. lol..

5. :wave:

6. If this is how dumb kids are... maybe I don't want my future kids smoking.....

Hahahahaa

7. lwal, they take that underage stuff seriously here :wave:

8. Indeed they do.

9. Wow both of em got the banhammer. Maybe they should took reading lessons before they smoke pot :)

10. This thread is hereby pointless.

LMAO

11. Hopefully they would be open enough to tell me (or their mom, assuming my then-wife has the same pot outlook as me) when they start/if they're thinking about trying it/if they want to keep doing it.

If not, it's no big deal if they don't feel comfortable and have to hide it. I honestly wouldn't mind if my kid smoked a bowl next to my on the couch, if my kid smoked and kept it hidden from me, or hated smoking in general.