Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How do you deal with the misconceptions about pot? Is your pot smoking a secret?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by G&TMom, Jul 2, 2009.

1. I am having a hard time lately with the misconceptions about pot usage. I used to live in BC and now I am near Toronto. I used to have lots of people to smoke with who were good, hard working educated individuals but in this area I don't even feel safe to tell people I smoke.

I live in the burbs, am a stay at home Mom. I really think if I told anyone they would call CPS :confused:
    You can be a drinking Mom and no one cares, spark up in the evening when the kiddies are in bed and you are the devil.

Our local paper has been printing a series of articles about cleaning up downtown. The intended targets are the tattoo shops and the one smoke shop. This smoke shop also is the big music promoter in town and brings in a lot of $$$ not to mention that they sponsor most city events.

But apparently according to the good citizens of this town they are the dirt.:rolleyes:

So if you are like me, a long time smoker who is a productive citizen/parent who happens to smoke do you have people around you the in the same situation? If not how do you deal?

I mean I don't even drink! What about the bars downtown. How many times have you heard of two stoners fighting and causing drama? I am just really having a shitty day and feeling the injustice of being a pot smoker who is apparently considered scum in my town while the bars seem to get a free ride because booze is not illegal.

Yesterday night the paper had a bunch of letters to the editor supporting the articles about cleaning up downtown and it really got me riled up. How ignorant are people to think pot and tattoos are the issue.

2. It's pretty horrible. I live in a city that's some-what anti-drug, and in a suburb that is very anti-drug. I go to school in a city that doesn't care about liquor (though they just made the actual city wet), but the cops will usually kick your ass for weed. Also, I think there is maybe one person in my entire family on my mom's side, who I am usually with, that I could tell I smoke and not have any problems.

3. haha i know where your coming form... im the son of a similar mom. and yes some people would call CPS. i feel your pain. =/. as long as you have a contact then i think you will be fine, just dont tell anyone.

4. this stuff gets me so angry! people treat marijuana like the root of all problems but don't choose to educate themselves about it before opening their mouths. my gf doesn't mind my smoking too much but isn't that comfortable with it because it is illegal. i find myself in situations everyday where i am 2 sentences away from being open about it. i would love to sit down with my parents and just tell them i smoke, then defeat their arguments against it... but it is against the law and isnt worth it for me to come out of the smoking closet just yet

5. I hear all of you. I'm over 50 and have been smoking for 34 of them. I have a college degree and am gainfully employed. I've never been arrested, etc. but feel like an outlaw.

I can't grow and it's hard to find good stuff (that's why I'm in this forum!), crazy as it sounds.

Pretty frustrating.

Anyone else in the same situation....especially in Kansas?

6. Well I am glad I am not alone.

I am 34 and college educated. Take my kids to the park everyday, am involved in the school and am the go to Mom for babysitting in the neighborhood.

At the Kindergarten door waiting with the other Moms it is all well and good to talk about how hung over you are from lasts nights dinner party. With pot I have no "I'm so sick" stories but I bet it would not go over well if I did.
    I think next time I go to get rollies I am going to ask one of the shop guys out for coffee or for a part time job. Whats the worst that can happen?
    I am the real desperate housewife, LOL.

7. San Antonio is a big military/police town, and as such is very clean and anti-anything fun. Almost everybody down here destroys themselves with alcohol and tobacco of any variety (Just like texans are supposed to, I guess:(), but back when my dad caught my brother (dad = Deputy sheriff and an FTO in the county's SWAT team) it was hell.

It's terrible how we're treated, and how weed is treated, but all we can do is hope that the powers that be tell society that we're not wrong. :confused_2:

8. I'm actually considering not smoking for a while since all my friends either quit or don't smoke at all. It's not that big a deal to me, since hanging out with friends sober is still better than being high alone. And I won't quit entirely.

It's just interesting to think about: how a lot drug use is influenced by culture, and not so much it's legal status.

9. pretty much every 1 assumes i smoke cuz im black and i always look high (since like 6th grade) just today sum random ass dude tryd to sell me bud at the bus stop. Where was he when i was dry!?!

10. One perk of living on a road taht know body knows about in a township that know body has heard of lol.

11. People like you are a prime example of how widespread ignorance and misinformation can destroy lives. What you do as a parent is supremely respectable, but all it takes is one brainwashed moron to call the police and ruin your life and the lives of your children. So kudos to you for not letting propaganda direct how you think.

The community I come from is very conservative and very hypocritical in regards to how the people around there live their lives. Despite the staggering number of successful parents, doctors, lawyers, businesspeople, etc. who smoked weed regularly at one point in their life and in many cases continue to smoke weed, those who dare to discuss their habits with anyone but their closest friends are often the target of investigation and will often find themselves stripped of their dignity and often enough their families.

I'm waiting for the day when the oldest generations start to pass on and more reasonable thinking can be brought to the mainstream. Until then, I keep it underground.

12. Its ridiculous, my buddies mom has done cocain and has told me stories of lawyers and dentists doing it, why the hell dont you hear about this, THIS is the bad shit. Weed is over protected everywhere.

13. you would be surprised man...so many people do drugs..people u would never think of...for example i know a couple cops in my town do a lot of coke...but its true...weed isnt shit...its not even a drug (its only a drug if u consider caffiene a drug...which i dont)...clearly no one gives a fuck if drugs are legal or not...just give up and regulate them somehow to make them safer...the government is so incredibly fuckin stupid it amazes me

14. It kills me that we live in a society that makes others feel as though they must shelter their true selves in order to evade judgement and even persecution. That is terrible that you town is going after the one headshop, especially because it is a promoter of the most valuable thing in my life - music. I've been smoking since the early 60's and now have a son in highschool. I understand the same pressures that you feel while having children and using cannabis. Please remember that you aren't a bad parent for choosing to indulge in a far more benign substance than alcohol. Peace and stay strong! :smoke:

15. Well, while I agree it is a good idea for a Mom in suburbia to keep it under wraps.... once these things get in the system you're dealing with human beings. My sister is a social worker of 20 years and most experienced case workers can spot a dangerous environment on site. And being a pot smoker does not alarm them as much as you'd think. So to you G&T... don't sweat it too much. If you got reported they have to investigate. But that's because they are required to. But if all they find is "alleged" pot use? They'd close your case immediately.

16. Amen to thatt :smoke:

17. Dude.... there's cops in every town that do a lot of coke. It's the preferred drug of civil servants. Rampant.

18. I've been smoking weed for thirty five years now and i've never really been into the dumbass stuff associated with weed like getting busted or a hot urine, etc. I've always kept my usage pretty much low keyed. I've always have had a knack of finding the head in a crowd, be it a new job or new town. Even on business trips back in the day, i would never hold anything except two joints to hold me over til i made a hook-up. Finding a head is not hard. There are very subtle ways to communicate the fact that you get high & are looking to find that bud. The whole thing involving weed is like a secret club with a secret handshake. It's about certain music, books, places to visit. Current events. Mention a news story about a big bust. See who roots for the cops or feels bad for the dude who lost all his plants in a home grow bust. Don't get carried away with it but it will let you know who not to talk to. Hum a few bars of "Insane in the Membrane" and listen for someone who catches on. Personally, i always avoid the cat who comes on too strong about weed. That's the one who will get ya busted or burned. One of the best jobs i had was the mid-night guy at a mini mart. I never got robbed in the two years i was there. I always had the LEOs in there feeding them, giving them sodas and coffee. At the same time i was selling about a half a pound a week outta there cause everyone else felt safe too. Easy in, easy out. Keeping the customers happy. It's all about not letting your ass hang out. Good luck in finding some other folks who share your interests, they're out there trust me.

19. you've been smoking since before 65? holy shit. are you caucasian?

20. Just wait for the government to die and a new generation government will be in charge, thus legalizing weed.