How do you deal with hermies?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WesternMAGrower, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Wanted to get opinions on this. Never really had a hermie that I noticed early enough to take action on. Usually I only know a plant was a herm when I get a random seed. So just doing some light defoliation this morning and i found one plant with probably 10 pollen sacs developing. They did not contain pollen yet that I could see. Very early in development. I carefully removed them and i think i got them all, but Im sure there are a couple left. It's flowering very nicely (bottom right plant in the pic) and I'd hate to remove it. I can handle a few seeds, but I also know the potential for a disaster. So how do you guys handle that? Pull it? Keep picking them off? I wish i had a 2nd space to move it to, but i dont. My gut tells me to get it out of there, but I'm having second thoughts. Curious to get everyone's opinions...what you've done in the past and what were the results. Thanks y'all!!

Attached Files:

2. Your gut is what you should listen to ime. The amount of time you have to spend looking and worrying about a stray sack isn't worth it. Either kill or harvest early and hash is what I'd do.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. I have to agree with PoiBoy. All it takes is you missing ONE male flower, or missing it by just a few hours, and you've got seeds. Which totally blows as your grow looks great so far :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. If u continue your grow n end up with seeds just make hash out of it all or blast it. Honestly I’d get rid of that plant dna has already changed.

5. I wouldn’t worry about a few seeds. Just use them for bird seed.,

6. I think i have a solution. My wife has a mini greenhouse that i forgot about. I'll fire up one of my old blurples and see what happens. Be interesting to see what happens. I just read that hermies from femanized seeds often contain no pollen. Not sure if it's true. We shall see! Thanks y'all.

7. It's not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Great solution. Wouldn’t leave it near my girls and let it hit up my sensi. A few male flowers (nanners) here and there in late flower are pretty normal with fem seeds. If I get lots of em or get them early, goes into the hash bin before someone gets knocked up. Cheers

9. Rodelization = All cannabis strains can do it. 5 to 500 seeds.
    Hermaphrodite = 50,000 seeds

Now honestly which one do you have?
    In 45 years of growing Cannabis I've had hundreds that Rodelized and gave back a handful or two of seeds.
    I've had exactly ONE true Hermi out of thousands of plants. It literally was a bucket of seeds.

Rodelization pollen is often sterile only being around 30% effectively functional IME. I run long and likely see more Rodelization then many growers do.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  10. So what's more fun than hitting some fresh Purple Punch and having a project to do? Nothing! Haha!!! Problem solved. A mini green house, a "1000 watt" vipraspectra, some contractor bags and some electrical tape. An hour later...new temporary tent! Damn i love getting high and solving problems. Ill toss a fan on it and see what happens.

Attached Files:

11. Is there any way to tell by how they form? These all looked like the classic spade-shaped male flowers, not in clusters of any kind. Just single flowers here and there.

12. No applogy No excuse straight to the trash but I've been growing for decades

13. I've had a few hermies, I just pick off what I can find and let them go. Off 2 qp plants I ended up with about 10-15 seeds total on each. Didn't effect the rest of the Bud at all and kinda nice getting a few femmed seeds. Just my .02

• Like Like x 1
  14. Also sounds like you might not have a hermie at all, a lot of the time it's just a female making a push to pollinate, a true hermie will have male and female flowers all over. If it just has a nanner here and there on the buds, then not a true hermie.

Instagram-Post-4-1-480x480.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks! Yeah they aren't growing within the female flowers. They are sprouting up one by one throughout the plant. These are feminized Zkittlez from ILGM, if that matters. Either way, it's now in the garage all alone, so I'll be sure to keep you all posted...if it survives. It gets hot and humid in new england and all she'll have is a fan. But Im curious as hell. Thanks again.

16. Sounds like a true hermie then, in that case I would definitely keep it isolated. Let us know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1