How do you check your roots to transplant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by anewanold, Sep 18, 2015.

1. I have two plants from clone a month old. I'll add pictures. They are in smart pots so no holes and I can't see the roots. Do I start digging or what?
    I just need to know basic principles to understand when to transplant.
    Is it better to transplant early or a little late?
    I'm transplanting from 1 gallon to 3.
    Thank you guys.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442539480.632116.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442539497.672004.jpg

2. I wouldn't start digging around for roots that's just going to cause unnecessary stress to the plants. id say its definitely better to transplant a little early than too late although with smart pots youre not having to worry about root binding issues. you could transplant now if you wanted just make sure the medium is dried out a bit so the root ball stays intact.

3. Before you think about transplanting, you need to look for a couple of things with your plant. First, how often are you having to water. A plant that is ready to transplant will dry up and need watered often...like daily or every other day, because it's using it so fast. It will also be as large in height and width as the container it is growing in. Allowing them to become slightly root bound before potting keeps you a nice solid root ball going. My clones go into Solo cups...usually only for 4 or 5 days, then they go into 1 gal. pots, then 3 then finally in 5 gallon buckets for flower. Keeping your containers small as you step up with repotting lessens the time you have to wait for the foliage to start growing again after the transplant. The less area the plant has to root into in the new container, the less time it takes to get back to growing above the soil. Happy growing!

4. I like the roots to fully engulf the soil in the container before transplanting so the plant slides out with zero root disturbance.. Square pots as I feel they prevent the root circling I see in rounds.. The plants always explode with new growth after the roots get a taste of new soil.. The 3x3x3 inch cups I start in will grow a 12 inch tall plant before it starts to slow.. The next stage is a 5x5x7 inch deep and that will get me a 24 inch plant.. Again I transplant an intact root ball to an 8x8x10 pot for the final veg stage to 3 feet or better and then it's outside to an in ground site to flower.. Just how I get it done on the Brass Pharm.. BNW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. you have a while your leaves arent even out to the edge of the pot.. You do need some mag though get some epsom salt