How do you all dry larf?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Eagleyedye, Oct 21, 2018.

1. I usually put on a screen type tray. But too much this year. I was thinking about throwing it into a paper bag and shaking it around every day?? I’ll prob make edibles or something out of it so I don’t care about taste or shit like that. Just wanna dry it without any mold forming.

Eagleyedye

2. I have 10" mesh nets and place those in empty 5gal buckets and throw the larf in the nets. I mix it around every so often (once or twice a day).
    ...and the dry I dump it into the pail, leave the moist on top... repeat as required

• Like Like x 1
  3. I like it. I actually have a few mesh bags hanging in the garage. I’ll try that this year. Thanks brother!!

Eagleyedye

4. These are loose buds, but it should also work for trim. This was an onion bag. Sometimes potatoes, and smaller ones from garlic.

[​IMG]

I normally dry my trim in brown paper bags. I cut paper towels into strips and mix it together in the bag. I turn everything over in the bag once a day until it starts to feel a bit crispy. But I have a room with a dehydrator in it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Will using a dehydrator effect the potency if used to dry any material or larf? Will effect the taste?

6. The heat from the dehydrator will evaporate some of the terpenes and lessen the flavor, but potency should still be OK.

And I just do a 2 part harvest. I take all the big buds which lowers the canopy by about 1/3. Then I lower the lights and let the popcorn buds fatten up for a few weeks! Once they have access to sufficient light, the buds will put on some weight.

Since I grow only for personal use and am retired, I have the time to let those little buds grow!

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  7. With this how do you dry your first part (Bigger buds) as i hear hanging the entire plant on harvest first 24hr or so. Sorry im a new grower approaching harvest here in the next week or so. I am worried to effect the flavor/ smell i do not want hay/grass

8. This is true.
    But, like you, it's personal medicine, and I really don't care about "lack" of flavor. I do still experience that "earthy" taste, but probably toned down a bit.

It's damp were I live and without the dehydrator mine is still not dry enough to jar after 3 weeks. (I think that's where the grassy smell comes from - jarring wet herb) I run out of room to hang the next chopping and need to move along.
    Since we have to run the dehydrator in the bedroom anyways, it all works out for me.:)

9. Hiya Storm Crow,

so... I just harvested before that message you wrote and I stuck a 70pint dehydrator in there with em... and its so hot, I said forget it, I will leave the tent open while they dry out, but I placed the dehydrator in the room (not the tent) with them. I usually dry slow and cool, but this time... was just curious.

ps. I killed my larf... its just going to go to the hash bags. I do sometimes let the underbrush mature longer, but this scrog was a mess... so forget it!

@Eagleyedye
    It was just a small harvest but I posted a picture to show that I placed indy bud and some larf in the net pots and let them hang with the others. When I have more, I just keep adding more net pots and stack them with a bit in between.
    DSCF2085.JPG
    I like Ronhip bag, but there's always a danger that the center stays wet and molds... I suppose its all about how dry it is.

10. Good point, and I was sceptical at first.
    I know that picture looks tight, but the loose buds are not packed. It's all light and fluffy in the bag. This is swinging in the breeze and has worked well for me.
    I normally hang branches from a string to dry. In the bag is all the loose crap that falls off during the trim. Along with the occasional "oops, accidentally snipped another bud".
    I have also used window screen, but it just takes up a bigger footprint than I have space for. I'd have to invent hanging tiers for that. But after a week of trimming 9-12 hours a day, I tend to just start looking for whatever's laying around. I'm sure I could overcome that bad habit if I'd just plan a bit while waiting for everything to ripen up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Ronhip bag methodology!!! Thanks for the advice IMG_9278.JPG

Eagleyedye

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1