How do we "think"?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by bkadoctaj, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Simple question. How do chemical reactions turn into visual, aural, and mental imagery?

2. Some do more than others.

What, do you expect somebody to teach you all of psychology and neurology and progressive brain theory in a cannabis forum thread?

I think you need to visit your nearest University Library

3. Fucking +rep

4. ^^ Nah, bkadoctaj just loves to make threads like this to make us think :p

5. personally i believe our thoughts are not purely a product of neurological chemical reactions but rather our consiousness is seperate from body and even mind.

6. So, let us say, we opened up your skull, and took a blender into select areas of your brain mushing it up something royally, you still think you'll have any cognitive functions left?

If full frontal lobotomy tells us anything, it is that our counsciousness is a function of the brain and dualism is bunk.

7. I'd like to again recommend Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett (amazon).

Part of the problem here is thinking of so-called "imagery" as actual imagery. We generally think of sight like there's a little home theater in our brains; what we see gets projected on a screen and the little homunculus in our head sits there and watches it. This isn't how it works. There is no homunculus, and there is no screen. The brain doesn't need to construct an image because there's no one there to watch it.

Dennett's book is an attempt at a rough draft of a scientific functionalist theory of consciousness. It explains why we feel like we're seeing images, even though we really aren't. It also explains why images are unnecessary.

8. I'd like to again recommend Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett (amazon).

Part of the problem here is thinking of so-called "imagery" as actual imagery. We generally think of sight like there's a little home theater in our brains; what we see gets projected on a screen and the little homunculus in our head sits there and watches it. This isn't how it works. There is no homunculus, and there is no screen. The brain doesn't need to construct an image because there's no one there to watch it.

Dennett's book is an attempt at a rough draft of a scientific functionalist theory of consciousness. It explains why we feel like we're seeing images, even though we really aren't. It also explains why images are unnecessary.