How Do We Make Decisions?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by jayfoxpox, Apr 21, 2014.

1. So picture yourself having the munchies , and so you grab something like a bowl of Premium Torilla Chips with Nori & Ginger flaor,  by WildRoots with the logo "real foods for real people. As you poor some from the bag into a bowl one of the chips .One chip falls down, and you see hat as it falls ,it cracks causing tiny fragments of the chip to appear. How do you come up with the decision to clean it up or not?

2. Flip a coin.

3. I know if I don't pick it up I'll be yelled at :(

Learnt behaviour, social norms and expectations, personal hygeine, nuerotic impulses:) personal preferance, role modeling, fear of ants, hiding the evidence, nothing better to do, potential embarrassment etc call the dog to clean it up.

5. The question is why not just pick up the chip and throw it away ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

I think what the OP is after is the nuerological brain activity etc. Someone has already posted links taken all the fun out of it. :)

7. Haha-yeah-neurologist anyone?^^

I think when it comes to reasoning though you weigh the good against the bad-which is going to be the best outcome for you? There is long term vs short term at work with your decision making process with the chip..haha

8. If I don't clean it up I know bugs will come.  I know I don't like bugs so I clean chip up.  

How do you come up with the decision to clean it up or not?

Eg: On occasion I can drop something such as a wallet and without what feel like not even comprehending the moment I automatically reach for it. Alternatively I can drop something that is rubbish and the actual act of deciding to pick it up or not is based on outcome such as your examples. A lot of research is now saying (which these been a fe vids even GC) that neally everything we do is pretermined in our unconcious brain (prefer non concious but Im not nuerologist) so in your example id say you would pick up the chip like most people. If you think about is that decision within usually fractions of a second a concious thought process as above or an automatic response triggered from the uncouncious part of the brain activating the physical into action?

10.  Yes, I think its a conscious decision based on outcomes you've experienced- whether to do it or not. Almost immediate-unless you're doing something like this..A little like the chip-Is it worth the bother..hah

[​IMG]

11. #12 Timesplasher, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    Some things that people do are instinctive so it makes sence to me that potentially a reaction can come from the unconcious part of the brain instigating a chemical reactions, signals etc etc and trigerring a physical response. Such as being startled and the muscles tense up, quicker heart rate, feeling aprehensive without even a noticeable rational thought ? The urge to sneeze, aches and pains heaps of the different things can go on physically without us conciously making any effort. So these internal responses have to come from somewhere which is likely the part the unconcious brain that stores information. If you imagne when you walk there is really no concious effort involved if were familiar with the surroundings. On one the videos mentioned earlier it suggests that its our natural way of saving energy. To take this idea further is that many things happen in a day that were so use to that we instinctively react with minimal or no concious effort. So potentially the idea of dropping a chip on the ground we have already made the decision on how to respond without any concious thought.

Whats interesting about the hypothetical example is that the person visually notices that the chip breaks into many pieces. That information would then have to pass through the eye and be processed by the synapses which suggest a concious effort. To clean up many pieces is not just a matter of picking up a whole chip either and may need a broom etc So all this is going on in the concious as well as the pros and cons of clean it now/ later or never. I suppose procrastinating is the extreme example of a concious dilema :)

The question does ask "how do we make decisions" so I suppose a reaction doesnt neccassarily involve making a concious choice between options initially unless there are competing factors to choose from.

12. Many factors weighed against one another. 

Will cleaning up the chip cause you to loose something more precious than whatever cleaning up the chip will gain you?

Exactly you could be in the middle of a good movie etc. Theres endless hypotheticals. 

14. Did that just happen to you? Sometimes I let it rest on the floor for some time and after half an hour, when your bowl is empty, you can still eat that from the floor! Hhaha partially kidding but it depends on the strain you just had I guess?

Follow on twitter @[member="HAPPYGROWS"] and instagram!

15. #16 JiminyThink Extant, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
    This question could probably be answered more directly and accurately in the science forum.   That is if you feel that the sum of your counsciousness are the action impulses that fire as a result of engrained processess.  It's an appraisal process.  Whenever you make a decision, or recieve any stimuli whatsoever, that information is processed through the appraisal process beginning in the sensosomatory cortex.  Like Proton Atheist and Uncle_Meat420 have mentioned, during this process, the factors and variables of stimuli are weighed through an almost unconcious system of experience, knowledge, fear, behavior, personality, etc.  These factors are what make you unique.  And it is with these unique modifiers that you decide to pick up the chip or not.  That decision, is distincitively yours, because even though you and I may both choose the same result, we have arrived at the conclusion through vastly differently influences. 

However, if you do mean to make this philosophical, I think that more modifiers are needed.  We live in the age of information, not the age of interrogatives.  Therefore, scientific data is readily available to us.  If you do want take it to Plato's Cave and sort it out solely through the social perspective of philosophical thinking, I think the best answer, within accordance to Occam's Razor, is cleanliness is an admirable trait in our society.  If you pick up the chip you are adhering to society.  If you are apart of some subculture that places importance on dissonance from mainstream society as a core value, you may not pick up the chip. 

Either way, the way you actually, physically, make the decision remains the same. 

16. I dont konw what goes on in my brain, i just know i dont like mess, especially food on the floor.

For that reason i clean it up.

17. I was born in a house where my mom always asked me to clean my room, as I noticed she only cared about the major cleanliness of my room and ignored the minor details, like a sock on the floor, if it's a small crumb that's insignificant in size, I'll kick it under the fridge

18. The chemicals and nerve signals that are active in each decision might get reviewed for a split second and your brain or sub consciousness decides which is more beneficial maybe?

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum