How do u test PH

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bigbud9485, Dec 10, 2007.

1. I have my clones in cubes right now and there green is fading there are turning light green. Someone told me that its because the PH how would i test the PH would i test the water that i water with?

2. i wouldnt worry with the ph, your clones will look like that. they will look completely dead sometimes, thats just the plant sucking all the nutrients out of what you see above soil to make roots...

but to answer your question you have to have a ph tester

3. I would worry about the pH very very much actually. pH can make or break a grow. To test ph there a few ways. There are ph drops, ph strips, and different electronic testers. The drops are ok for testing the ph of plain water but once you start adding nutrients it makes the water a little darker and its hard to see the color once drops are added. The strips (like for pools and ponds) are the next best thing. You dip them in and they change colors. The electronic ones are the best way to go. There are many different brands and models. To answer you other question, yes you test the water you water with. You always test the ph after you add your nutrients. If you test the water, then add nutrients its going to change alot! On a side not, the pH might not be whats causing the light green but thats beside the point. You always, always want to test the ph. Especially if you are growing hydro. Soil is a little more forgiving.

4. except that hes talking about clones turning light green/yellowish and this is because the plant is basically feeding off itself so it has energy to build a root system

5. Oh my bad, i thought i made it clear that ph might not be the reason they are turning yellow. He also they are in cubes so i just kinda assumed hydro. I dont know why cause you can put rockwool or oasis in soil too, i just assumed hydro. That was my bad, ill try to make it more clear next time. But still, always test ph.

6. to clear a few things up your clones shouldnt have a PH problem YET, if they do, then you have a big problem because you cant be giving it ferts etc.. until there is a solid root base.

also, testing the ph of the water you add is a good habbit, but it wont really tell you ANYTHING, all you will know, is the water going in is correct ph. what you need to do to test the PH is get ph corrected water, and pour it on the soil in excess. IE flood the plant, have a tray of some sort under the pot to catch water coming out the bottom (you should have already drilled or poked breather holes through your pot) as the water drains out into the tray, dip your ph reader into that water, that will give you the readout of the ph. ideal ph is 5.5-5.8 so for example if it is 7.0 coming out the bottom of the pot, then you should correct some water to maybe... 4.5 or 5.0 and pour it in, then test again, do that however many times it takes to get down to ideal ph.

like i said, what you are going through now is normal, all the stuff above is important, but not now, your clones will look like they are dying, some will look completely dead, just keep and eye on them and give them time, the plant is sucking all the nutrients out of the leaves and stalk to help the roots form, once you have roots, you plant will liven back up

good luck

7. never had a problem with my clones turning yellow....although i have seen it in others. pH will determine whether or not the ammonium/nitrate are avl to plant (too high or low= nute lockout, aka wasted money). but, each strain has a diff. pH pref....so you gotta research your strain. also, diff meds require diff. pH. the electronic meters are only accurate if calibrated on a bi-weekly basis. BUT with that said, the main diff between my clones and my mate's clones: i foliar with additional magnisium...which is mobile so you can tell pretty quick if that it is the prob. (p.s. this is all assuming your ventilation is correct, the shittiest clones are poorly ventilated clones).