Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How do seeds know which way to grow?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Smokey Js, Jun 21, 2012.

1. How do seeds know which way to grow?

2. The term is geotropism. Plants have growth hormones that respond to the Earth's gravitational pull. This causes roots to grow down (negatively geotropic) and stems to grow up (positively geotropic).

3. I shove my 12-gauge shotgun in their face and tell them which fuckin way to grow

4. It's called "gravity". Or geotropism as Luuke more correctly put it.

5. not to mention they follow light once sprouted.

6. yeah, I thought all plants grow towards were they get the most sun

7. This is the case indeed.

But someone could enlighten me on how a plant reacts to multiple light sources. Let's take a hypothetical grow, where one has a suspended HID light above the grow and another one on the vertical side of the growing space. With the plant(s) naturally reaching for the light above, would the lower growth, being affected more by the vertical light, stretch out to the side towards it?

8. Even in a black box the seed will grow up and the roots will grow down because of the the hormones it produces and gravity.