How do Pawn Shops work?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ganjagreen420, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Today I went to a Pawn Shop to sell three Nintendo DS games and one GBA game (one of the games was Pokemon Diamond for $5 CAD). He asked me a question (I believe he asked me if I was selling them, or pawning them for me to come back at a later date to retrieve them), and I told him that I was just selling them.

Now somebody wants to buy Pokemon Diamond from me for $20. Can I go back and ask for the game back, or is that now impossible (I'm pretty sure they still have it)?

2. You'd have to buy it back.
    Now, is the profit you'd gain from this transaction better than how much you've already made?
    I doubt it, so I'd probably just count my losses and move on.

3. That's stupid, now why couldn't he just sell it back to me at the same price? He knows who I am, and I have ID (plus he already saw the same ID...) And all because of a stupid peice of writing on a peice of paper.

4. you have to buy the game back at his price now..

5. Fuck that shit, he knows who I am. He seemed like a really nice guy too, he was polite on the phone and all that shit. Are you all sure that my chances for this are 0%, or maybe I have a slight chance?

6. I guess you don't know until you ask, but I doubt it.

7. because that's how pawn shops make money. it's not stupid, it's business, buy low sell high

8. Would it kill you to go and ask him yourself?

9. They're not open right now, but yeah if I asked him tomorrow when they're open, a huge meteor will fall out of the sky and crush me. loljk :p

10. Nah, you ain't got a chance in the world.

That's how they make money. Buy shit off of you and then sell it for 90% more than they bought it for.

That's why pawn shops should always be a last resort.

11. pawn shops fuck you over..

Only time ones is used around here is when you needa get rid of somethin hot haha..

12. It's not 90% more, it's more like 50-66% or something like that.
    Nonetheless, this is the last time I'm using a pawn shop. Thank god I only lost $15.

13. Truth. Thats why I keep my white ass outta Newark. Im not trying to get my shit jacked. My pops grew up there tho. Said it was a beautiful city back in his day. Now his street is filled with crack houses and hookers and he refuses to go back. I dont blame him.

14. Yes, I didn't think anybody would take my 90% literally...

Point is, they should be used as a last resort, or like Tee 8sh See said for hot shit :cool:

15. You really didn't know that businesses exist to make money?

All they care about is money, just like you. That's why you're doing what you're doing, instead of just selling it to the other guy for $5 like you did with the pawn shop.

Let me guess, you think it's different when you do it, right? :laughing:

Even if they double the price and sell it back for $10, you're still making more money on it than they are.

This hardly seems like something to be whining about.

16. ^This.

Plus, most pawn shops are willing to haggle with you.

17. Somebody offered me $60 for my Nintendo DS Lite (which I barely use), is that a good deal? I'm still waiting on better offers, but so far I have an offer of $60.

18. They cost $100 new, so $60 for a used one is a great deal IMO.

19. Do they cost $100 for a new one in Canada? I'm asking this, because I have an ad up online that says "$100 or best offer", and somebody emailed me and asked what colour it was, so I emailed them back and said that it was red and that they had to beat an offer of $80 (was this stupid?).

They then told me to forget it, and in another email, said that they would have paid the full $100. I didn't believe this at all, I think they were just trying to make me feel bad. What do you think of this GC?