How do I wire these damned flourescent lights

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MisterWhippy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Well I got the box built, the seeds germed, everythings bumpin ready to go. but wait, HOW THE HELL DO I WIRE THESE FLOROS!? once the light fixtures are assembled all I have is two wires, a black, and a white. the guy said all I had to do was splice it into an electrical cord I cut off some old appliance. well that shit isint working, how do I get these to work?

2. you'll want a three pronged, grounded cord

and then, just match up the colours! green is your ground, white is neutral, and black is hot.
    The ground should be screwed into the flourecent housing (there should be a screw not holding anything in, for this purpous).
    hope this helps...also, search the forums, theres lots about this stuff!

3. you can use flourescent lights to grooooooow?

4. ...yes...

5. Hi all.

You can use Compact Fluroscent Bulbs to grow!!! They even have the 'normal' house socket base on them too--up to 105W's or so.

Too bad the Overgrow website is down. They had a ton of killer threads on the topic.

Later.

6. :hello:

What do you do if you wire a light socket and want to add a grounding wire? Do you just attach it to the socket and then the grounding wire in your cord?

tHANKS!!!

7. cfl's offer an advantage on ability to place anywhere as well as using a cheap "standard" light socket. However, they are typically less efficient than standard 4 foot tubes (Twhatever). I have seen fixtures that allow you to rewire the ballasts from two tubes to one, increasing the output of a single tube by 70%. Imagine running 4 of those in your kitchen in an island or under the sink. It wouldn't be too hard to rig up a stand for your lights that you could connect chains to and make everything nice and adjustable. You could run a ScrOG or a starter room down there.