how do I start working out?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Yummybud20, May 17, 2010.

1. hmm i don't know, i've heard too much dairy is bad for you. I also get some pimples on my face and I read a derm report on dairy contributing to acne so I stopped drinking milk a year ago.

milk contains other things also like hormones from the cow. I don't eat cheese or yogurt anymore either.

I need to get my protein from other sources...... I drink soy milk which contains protein (same amount as milk) but I can't afford to drink a gallon of soy milk a day lol.

2. lol do what you wanna do bro, not drinking milk isn't gonna kill you. I took a look at that report though and I'm not worried at all, and I drink about 2 gallons a week. All you gotta worry about is workin out man, just make sure you do compound lifts. Squats and deadlifts son. Dont even bother with isolation exercises right now, that just asking for an injury, you gotta put on some solid muscle mass first. PM me if you gotta question I'm pretty big into working out and do a fair bit of research into it. And trust me if you use science to your advantage when you work out you'll see way better gains.

3. yo yummybud944, I was reading online and shit and found something interesting, soy milk is actually really bad for trying to put on muscle because all soy products contain isoflavins, also called phytoestrogens, and well fuck it I'll paste this shit

these are also called phytoestrogens in that they have properties that are estrogen like but are derived from plants. The amount of genistein per day consumed in the average Japanese is only 10mg. Mega consumption of isoflavones such as soy burgers can bring the total daily genistein intake to over 200mg. Genistein is particularly harmful for people who have preexisting low or marginally low thyroid function. It’s antagonism to the thyroid hormone is well established. A daily dose of genistein as low as 30mg can affect normal thyroid function.

The soy isoflavone genistein and daidzein are similar to 17 beta-estradiols, but are 100,000 times weaker in estrogenic activity and are therefore weak estrogens. Although these isoflavones are weak estrogens, people who eat a lot of it can have their blood level of isoflavones as mush as 10,000 times higher than those who do not consume soy.

basically soy makes you produce more estrogen, which is a female hormone, muscle growth is dependent on testosterone production though, and if you have a diet high in soy, your testosterone levels will go down because you'll have all that extra estrogen (arnold would in fact call you a "girly man" lol no offense)

basically, lose the soy, drink milk, and decide whether you wanna get jacked (a lifetime commitment to being healthy) and maybe have a few pimples (which are temporary as fuck), or continue fucking with your body's natural chemistry and supplementing yourself with female hormones.

Oh yeah, soy milk has hormones too, and isn't that what is theorized in that study to cause acne? You gotta pick your poison brah

4. dude i don't disagree but i posted assuming yummy wants to see results sometime before 2-3 years. building muscle and losing fat are not mutually exclusive but to do both requires a lot of time.

5. also forgot to mention one mor ething, while talking about hormones.......

i'm taking finasteride (propecia) daily (about 1 mg). I thougth I was losing too much hair even though i'm not balding at all yet so i've been taking this drug for 2 years now.......

one of the effects it has is it stops testosterone from converting to DHT which is the active form of testosterone......

so i'm not sure if this drug would affect me being so skinny and also working out and gaining muscle.

i'll have to do some research online.......

i haven't joined a gym yet, i've just been doing pushups everyday to get a little stronger and some situps.

didn't know soy milk gave you femal homones lol.

I don't drink much soy milk anyways like a class or 2 a day that's not a lot and i'm taking calcium suplements cus i don't drink milk.

I don't just get one pimple or whatever I got pretty bad acne on my back whcih is clearing up now and I have lots of scars on my back so i'm too scared to drink milk now.

6. I did a quick search for you.
    Propecia/Finasteride - Inhibit Muscle Growth/Strength? - Anabolicminds.com
    These guys don't seem to have noticed any effects on muscle building, but do list many other effects.. so weigh your options anyways.

If you're going to do bodyweight workouts until you join a gym, you should add in squats and preferably also add in pullups. Pushups won't hit your whole body!

7. Start eating lots of carbs and protein (wheat bread and chicken is the way to go) and spend as close to an hour at the gym as you can. Don't work out more than 5 days a week since you need recovery time. Judging by what you said in your OP, I would say that you should do as many pec and shoulder workouts as you can. Obviously you still need to work out your other muscles (biceps, triceps, back, abs) or you will look disproportionate.

When I first started working out, I was super skinny. I made the mistake of doing too many high-rep, low-weight sets. Even though it is intimidating at first, you need to hit as heavy a weight as you can to build real size. What I started doing was sets of 10-8-6-4. Give yourself a weight that you can do 10 reps on pretty easily. Then go to a heavier weight so you have to push a little to do 8. Then push harder on a heavier weight for 6, and then go to the heaviest weight you think you can do 4 on. If you fail on 3, great. Next time you will probably be able to finish the 4 if you were trying your hardest for 3 the previous time. This method works wonders for me.

8. look dude i didnt even read all that shit u wrote, just the title

go to bodybuilding.com and read the basics

learn bout diet and the right exercise program for you

set goals and go!