How do I start growing? (Beginner)

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by KeithSmokeDro, Jun 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. I was curious on how to start growing... I’m not sure where to get seeds or what tools and stuff I need.. I’m bored so I wanted to start a lil project

2. All your questions can be answered here on GC........just do a search.
    :gc_rocks:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yea bud research is the best way to start, you have to know and understand the plants and medium you choose. If you're not a good gardener, really doesn't matter what kind of equipment you have you won't have success.

4. Ehh I’m still going to try eventually I just want to get information first

5. Yea of course most of us start off without knowing anything but what we've researched. I'm not saying don't start a grow, all I'm saying is put in the work up front figure out what medium you want, how big of a grow space, what will you need to do to keep grow space an optimal temp and humidity, what's needed to keep plants happy and healthy in medium of choice many many variables need to be looked at and explored, it's not as easy as just throwing a seed in dirt

Also the information you're asking for we'd have to break down every medium every light all nutrients ect ect ect it would take hours if you had an idea of what youre looking for that would be more feasible

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oh there is a DIY section in the growing hydro section here on the board.
    Find what fits you and copy it

• Like Like x 1
  7. I agree with that to a certain extent. You can copy for the most part just keep in mind you can't grow exactly like someone who lives in another region. I live in NM I can't grow exactly like someone in Tennessee different environments can cause you to have to tweak certain aspects of your grow compared to others. Trial and error = experience

8. Hey welcome to growing. Now you want to make sure that you can take control of the environment and not only regular temperature and humidity but temperature and humidity in the extremes and should be ready for anything that might come up later on. You can definitely grow great buds but it’s all about doing the research check RQS which is royal queen seeds they have some great information on there you can also buy seeds from there but they are in Europe so otherwise they might not ship to you. Now there are many many great informations on this forums but due to the mass volume of information that you need to learn, like everybody else that we won’t be able to help you start a grow from scratch as it will take days and days of back on forth messaging. If you have any generic questions such as how to keep temperature in line or ‘what are the pros and cons of growing in X media vs Y media of stuff like that. Its all about the progress and you learn new stuff everyday. Good luck

9. #10 GroBuddy, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    I just smoked and don't have shit else to do so I'll leave you with this. For me the easiest way to start is in quality organic soil. Coco for a beginner and hydroponics to me can be overwhelming as there are so many factors. Coco you need to feed early and every watering if you don't understand what or how much plants need that's a easy fail. Then hydroponics water temp nutrients other variables but again easy fail to me for a beginner anyways. Ocean forest or happy frog both from fox farms offer enough food to feed your plant for 4 to 6 weeks for OF and 3 to 5 weeks for HF . In the mean time you get to watch study and learn your plants getting ph and ppm readings without having to worry about food just yet. So with the other two just more that can go wrong for a beginner. Soil you just have to make sure you're watering and phing correctly until you start showing deficiency or your ppm run off drops below the correct zone for plants developmental stage. Tent depends on the space you have and how many plants you want to run, light is the same. Look into Horticultural lightning group, Growers Choice, and Mars Hydro FC series. To know how much light you need multiply your grow space and divide that by your lights wattage. 4x4= 16 720÷16 = 45 watts a sqft you want a minimum of 30 watts a sqft from top brand diodes I like 40 to 45 but 70 watts a sqft would be max if you could manage the excess heat. You want inline fan, and oscillating fans humidifier and dehumidifier a ink bird comes in handy there and for temps if you wind up needing a ac or heater. A couple of thermometers if you don't get the ink bird to monitor temp and humidity at root and at canopy level. Nutrients I use fox farm but there's plenty to choose from just pay attention to the n-k-p and make sure it's proper for growing cannabis. Water tap needs to have low ppms and be dechlorinated, I use r/o because it has a base ppm of 0 but spring, rain, will work as well. Every medium has a different pH range or proper pH range that allows the roots to absorb nutrients you have to follow that closely not as much in soil as good organic soils buffer pH down if you forget to pH or whatever. But even that runs out over time and you'll notice more and more issues without proper pH. If you start in soil make sure it has an adequate amount of perlite those I listed come with what is to me enough perlite added some like adding another 20% or so. Soak a seed in clean water or dechlorinated tap ( I've never used tap ) let it soak for a full 24hrs no matter when it sinks. If it's still floating after 12 hrs give it a poke it may or may not sink. After 24 hrs if it hasn't sunk give it a poke this time it should sink if not go ahead and start germination it may be a dud. But if I have one floating after 24 hrs I'll let it sink and soak for an additional 2 to 3 hours. Soaking helps open and soften the seed casing. Once it's soaked use a non bleached paper towel pour all but a quarter or less of the cup out pour the remaining water and seed into the paper towel. This should be wet but not dripping. Fold paper towel up mist it on both sides 5 or 6 mists grab a ziplock mist inside the ziplock put folded paper towel in ziplock and store in a dark place. I use a closet shelf or my night stand drawer. Some people leave the ziplock open I know there's enough air in the ziplock to germinate my seeds so I zip it shut holding in moisture and humidity. After 24 hours you should have a small quarter inch tap root or less sometimes this is big enough sometimes I germinate for 24 to 48 hours. if you choose soil poke about a half inch hole as your taps a quarter inch you want to hardly burry the entire seed. I l place in hole then collapse the hole with surrounding soil. Once that's done give it a small watering I use a pipette, then take the ziplock mist it again and place it over your starter pot or solo cup. You should sprout in 24 to 48 hours leave the zip lock on misting as needed until the first true leaves show after that they still like 60% humidity or so but the baggie can come off. From sprout in soil you have to be careful how you water always water the plant not the pot. If you mist mist 8 to ten times on each side of the plants base. When that drys up within a day mist let that seep in then mist again once that dries up Within a day, Mist 15 to 20 times on each time let it seep then mist again. Once that dries up within a day you can start watering a inch or two in circumference around the plants base. You want to water every other day to 3rd morning adjust amount of water given to achieve that. as mentioned those soils come pre-amended and feed for certain amount of time it's easiest to just get periodic runoff readings. When the ppms drop below the preferred amount just add enough to get them back. Not a recommended dose.
    300-400ppms first part of veg
    450-700ppms second part of veg
    750-950ppms first part of flower
    1,000-1,600 ppms second part of flower this is recommended for soil grows only.

If growing photos you'll want to look up topping, feming, Low stress training, and scrog grows to achieve max yield.

If growing photos you'll wanna remove large fan leaves throughout the grow that block lower bud sites. Clean it up about 2 weeks before you flip to flower to get it ready to transition. Take big fan leaves again after the week 3 stretch and clean up if anymore grow week 5 then let be until harvest by week 5 tho if done right you won't have but a couple to few you'd need to remove if any just depends on plant growth.

Get a microscope or jewelers loop so you can check trichomes so you'll know when to harvest.

Get a feel for weight always lift before and after waterings the pot should have no weight before receiving more water or feed if growing in soil.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Stick seeds in ground now.
    Harvest mid-late Oct.
    Easy

BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. OK, I’m not sure where to post this question.
    What is the best odor neutralizer that I can get for indoor growing?

13. What’s ur budget? If your new I’d def suggest growing in coco and buying clones. Youll b able to see how plant grow with very lil problems. Just my 2 cents

14. Create your own thread bud, under Grow Room Design/Setup