How do I start a conversation?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by The Talking Dog, Aug 31, 2010.

1. I just started college and I see a lot of girls and guys just standing around waiting for classes, I suppose the popular cliches don't transfer over to juinor college because I notice that even the pretty guys and galls just stand around awkwardly.

So I have an idea to go up and talk to a pretty girl (crazy right) but I don't have a clue when it comes to intro lines.

What possible reason could I have for talking to someone at random? What do I say? Is it strange if I tell her that I'm new to the city and don't know anyone?

How does this work? how do you talk to people at random without being at the bar?

2. Well, chances are, if they are just standing around awkwardly, they're probably asking themselves the same question you are asking now. You're in college! Talk about college. Find someone who's in another class with you and bring up something that happened in class. Look at the books they are holding and ask them about that. The fucking weather. Just try and talk about something you know about. Don't start a topic off by asking someone about quantum physics if you're not prepared to carry on a conversation about it.

3. ask them WHERE THE TREE AT!

4. This one worked for me but it was at a party not school. I'm looking for girl friend material. As much as I love pot I don't think I could take that as a good first impression... unless you're at the bar then all first impressions are good.

5. great advice. If I know a small bit about them I can carry on a conversation like any normal person. What stumps me is when someone is just standing there and you have no clue who they are or anything about them other than the color of their clothes. What do I say then? Nice shirt... I like purple too.

6. bump into them, help pick up their shit and just go from there!

7. i have the same problem, dude. i'm considering just sitting next to this cute girl in one of my classes and just being like "hi, i'm matt. what's up?" and seeing where it goes

8. I hear you man. I just cant approch girls. every girl I've been with ( ether it be for one night, or six months) has always approached me. I realize we all have the same needs and wants. I just can't do it!

9. Just be like "how's it going" then go from there like other people said just talk about some bullshit you'll be able to keep the conversation going with.

10. Well there are 2 possible outcomes from you introducing yourself, and both of them you win.

You say "Hey I'm (insert name here)!"

they say
    1. "Hi (your name) I'm (their name)"
    and it's good from there. or
    2. "No."
    And you just saved yourself from waiting for a douche bag to introduce herself to you.

It's diving off the high diving board. The first time is somewhat nerve-racking, but after that, the rest are usually smooth.

11. go up to the girl of your choice and say
    "how much does a polar bear weigh?" -pause for a sec-
    enough to break the ice, hello my names Such and such, wanna fuck?:cool:

12. i just think your never gunna be able to do it because you care too much.

what happened to hey whats up?
    works for me....

13. yeah from The Goods Live Fast Sell Hard... or something

I tried that like a year ago. It made the cashier at the grocery store laugh but then she said she had a BF.

14. There's a great thing called observational humor, I'm sure you've heard the phrase. If you just take something in your surroundings, something about her, something about the room you're in, something about the class, the professor, whatever, and think about it for a second, you should be able to think of something witty or funny.

The more you try the better you'll get. Personally I've been in quite a few of these situations, pre-class, where everyone is posted up stiff as a statue, and a lot of the time nobody really broke the ice. Don't convince yourself you have to think of the next fishstick joke, just find something halfway interesting to say and put your foot in the door.

15. arcadianskies

I think we have a winner. Thanks arcadianskies. If she is remotely interested she's probably throw me sympathy chuckle. That usual happens.