How do I stake up a plant in DWC????

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jb5355, Apr 21, 2011.

1. I have some sour diesels in flower in bubble buckets. they are getting pretty tall and I'm afraid if I don't stake em up they might start falling over. any ideas on how to stake em up????

2. ...bamboo sticks and duck tape?....strings from the ceiling? ...pvc pipe w/ wire screen (scrog)? ...you've got options, get creative.

3. tomato cages, or a 1/2" pvc cage around it with string?

4. Yes what Bruno said. If you aren't doing SCROG, tomato cages are very popular.

5. #5 grislyadams, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
    I am getting ready to run into the same thing. I am going to line a few 1 gal soil pots with a small garbage bag and fill with clean sand. Then jam bamboo stakes in and position any which way. Any bucket would work and a gallon should be plenty of sand to hold things up nicely. I'm just using the pots because I'm sworn off soil at the moment and I have a bunch of them laying around.

6.  I know of these magnets that you attach to your light and they have retractable strings that you attach to the plant. I've been looking for them for the last hour, but can't seem to find them and don't know what they're called. Maybe someone else here could help with the name. I'm definitely getting some though. I'm having the same issues. 

Sounds like yoyo supports. But I haven't seen any with magnets. Most light reflectors are aluminium so magnets wouldn't stick to them.

I use yo yo supports and they are brilliant. They retract as the plant grows so you don't have to do any maintenance

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Dr. Errl Hammond- B.H.O., May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
    to do it "for real"  there are basically two really good ways:

1:  6 ft. wire fencing from Lowes/ Home Depot/etc. and then make a circular cage around the bucket wide enough for your grow needs and then use bamboo/plastic stakes skewered through the cages at various levels to support your plants.

2. using pvc or wood construct a frame around each of your buckets and then use plastic or hemp/nylon/cotton/etc netting to go around the sides of your frame.

p.s.   it will save you mucho time/work and also is much easier to work with the cages when you have  large/heavy plants or many sites in your system.......good luck

p.p.s -  depending on your setup you may be able to literally double your yields with supplemental vertical lighting

p.p.p.s -  if a normal size tomato cage is "plenty big" for your plants you should probably just ignore all of the above
    :bongin:

9. Support nets running horizontally with the plants growing up through them works well but if you are more than 3 weeks in to flowering it's probably too late for that. I hook yo yos on all my big colas otherwise snapping of branches is a certainty

10. Yeah, I'm going to need to get a bunch for next grow. I'll have to make due with duck tape and hemp string for this grow, but the yo-yo's are a must have. You're right about the hood being aluminum. Spaced for a moment. Either way, could just buy those yo-yo's and get strong double sided tape and stick them to the hood. I'm thinking of just lining 24-36 of them around the perimeter of the light. I got some top shelf bud in Cali and it had a few seeds. Pretty sure they gave it to me because I asked about buying seeds, and they can't/don't sell any, so I think they instead hooked me up with some nice bud with seeds in it. They're really beautiful smelling, but really fucking long and stretchy despite being under a 1000W and having plenty of room. Especially after switching to flower, one in particular got huge and a bit out of hand, and is already snapping under the weight and it's only 5 weeks in or so. It's not even that the buds on that one are huge, but the stems were long and weak. They definitely need the support and those yo-yo's look like a fantastic solution to the problem. 

11. Yeah they work well man  I have them attached to cord that is tied to the top of my tent. They hang down all over the place