Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How Do I Spot Good Bud?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by jokeNtoke666, Jun 17, 2013.

1.  i have been smoking for about a year. but not like everyday. every once in a while ill call up my friend who always weed and we toke. but im starting to smoke on my own and i wanna know how to know im getting a good deal on my bud. the other day i bout a dime bag from my buddy. and i smoked half of it and (i've been high before i know what its like) and i got pretty high for a good 3 and a half hours. so that had to be good weed right?i just wanna know for in the future how to know if the weed i buy is worth it. any pointers? things to look for? lemme know

2. Things that I've known to be as dank is the stickiness of the buds and the trichomes on it, under a light and turning a bud the trichomes will have a sort of sparkle.

3. Trichomes are the main thing, if it has a lot of trichomes, it's probably that dankity dank. I would say the smell also determines it, but what you see right there in that picture does not have a strong smell when smoked at all, or in general, but it's definitely dank. If it smells good generally though, it's probably pretty good. Sticky is good. 

4. Repeat after me: Orange hairs, dank aroma, crystals

5. I helped you, you missed a few :)

6. I helped you, you missed a few :)
    </blockquote>Not moist but not dry. Also look for stickiness. Sticky is good. I've learned that sometimes lime green is always good and if it has hues of purple or red buy it

7. But honestly you won't know what's good until you smoke that shit

8. Density & Stickiness 

9. Incorrect, you should be able to easily spot the good from bad.

Op, check out the rate the bud shot thread. You can see all different varieties with ratings to start to learn. Once you buy it for awhile you will be able to tell.

10. Incorrect, you should be able to easily spot the good from bad.

Op, check out the rate the bud shot thread. You can see all different varieties with ratings to start to learn. Once you buy it for awhile you will be able to tell.
    </blockquote>I've had some good looking bud that didn't do much for me. Looked top shelf. Different strains have different potency.

11. Light green (Not always true, can be darker greens too. Shades of purple are less common, but do exist.)

Sticky (Not WET. Whenever you pick up new buds always take the biggest nug and crack some of the stem. It should snap as soon as you bend it. The stems on lower quality herb that's wasn't dried right will just bend. Or not snap very easily. Stems should also be a light faded green color and not dark. That means it wasn't dried/cured properly.)

Should smell really good. (So good that you'll want to smell it over and over again just because it's so 'dank'.

You should be able to see a good amount of trichomes. ('crystals') (Trichomes look kind of similar to a mushroom. They basically look like a long 'stem' with a 'bulb' at the top. You'll see many of these bulbs still intact on the higher quality, well handled buds. Keep in mind 'headless' trichomes, or trichomes without these bulbs, will still get you high as long as there's still a good amount of visable trichomes in general.)

Buds should be somewhat dense. (Not to be confused with COMPRESSED.)

Buds should have a good amount of 'hairs'. (On the lower quality nugs there usually won't be as many, or any at all. Again, there are exceptions, but for the most part your herb should have a good amount of them.)

Taste should be REALLY good. (So good that you'll want to smoke it just for the taste alone. Shouldn't burn your throat or anything.)

Buds shouldn't crackle or make any kind of noise when you take a hit. (Could have unflushed fertilizers/pesticides still in the buds that the grower didn't get rid off. Could also just mean your bud is wet, which you definitely don't want. Wet = bad. Remember, it's STICKY. That's what you want.)

Basically everything about it should be amazing. High quality buds can be orgasmic if you ask me. :bongin:

12. My bud crackles sometimes. I guess I'm not smoking dank

13. Incorrect, you should be able to easily spot the good from bad.

</blockquote>I've had some good looking bud that didn't do much for me. Looked top shelf. Different strains have different potency.

</p></blockquote>
    Thats interesting, ive been smoking 12 years and have not experienced that. Are you sure it was the weed and nothing else? Were you drinking? How much had you smoked that day?

It could be one of the other variables in the equation dont ya think?

14. Nah the high was just weak. Still enjoyed it but it wasn't 10/10 yah feel me

15. Density doesn't mean shit about quality. It just means it was grown under intense light. 250-600w grows are GENERALLY SPEAKING fluffier than 1000w or sunlight grown. I have some from a low power grow that is incredible, but very fluffy.

16. Yeah, I forget to mention some things. Have to edit that later...

17. A good way to test if it was flushed properly is to smoke a bowl completely and then look at the ashes when you're done. If they're pretty much completely white then it was flushed good. If there's still some grey or black bits even after you can't get anymore smoke from lighting the bowl, then it was flushed poorly. Generally speaking (doesn't apply to every case), bud that has been properly flushed has been grown by a decent grower, which will usually mean better quality bud. So looking at the ashes when you're done can be another way to test quality.

18. Density and trichs, I stick by this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. i think the most important thing ive learned is purple in no way equals dank. some strains have natural hues of purp, but a lot of purps are just growers trying to make their tree look danker and dropping the temp.

20. #20 Sativa Hangover, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
    You wanna look for something that has a nice shade of dark/light green, none of that brownish shit. It should be a little sticky, but not feel like it's been hosed down with hair spray.

If it sparkles, has orange/red hairs, or exotic colors like purple those are all good signs.

The density of the weed doesn't have anything to do with the quality, but usually indica dominant strains are dark green, and dense, while sativa dominant tend to be light green, and fluffy.

One more thing, don't ever ask for specific strains unless you know your guy is legit, because he will sell you over-hyped mids and rip you off for as long as you let him. If it doesn't sparkle then it's not worth more than $5/g.