How do i light proof a window ac?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by sleepybbrown, Dec 27, 2011.

1. I have the whole room light tight, everything is all good, but i am getting some light coming through the vents on the unit. They have been on 24/7 but now its time to flip the switch and i need to get this fixed.

Im going to be running the lights at night so this will be disturbing the girls sleep i think... i don't want to risk it. I thought about having the lights on during the day but when the days get longer it will be light outside longer than their 12hr cycle.

Anyone ever had this problem? Any suggestions on how to build a light baffle for a window ac unit would be helpful.

Thank you GC!
    SleepyB

2. Typically you would build a box around the window.
    You hang curtains and measure a square around the window and curtains. Build a box that size so you can still have your curtains on. Paint the inside black, cut 2 holes for ducting (1 in 1 out) hook ducts to your ac hang the box and your done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thanks for the response. that sounds legit but unfortunately i already have it mounted. I ended putting something together with some mylar and it seems to keep the light out

4. My windows Ac has a big piece off Styrofoam inside to insulate the cold site from hot side. Light would leak through the foam and around it. I pulled the face of the unit while it was mounted and covered the foam with aluminum tape. I made sure to get it flat so the fan would not hit the tape.

I always have aluminum tape on hand. I think its the best tape.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thank you.

Ugh this is an easy fix.

I was unsure ifnthe foam needed to breath...
    But almost positive I've seen them with plastic boards.

6. I'm pretty sure this topic is Abt light proofing window bangers...
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Sorry, should have added I routed the a/c through the cardboard/tarp and wrapped it with foil tape., in front of it is a thin, doubled curtain that blocks the light.

Northern lights AF/ Sour Jack fem closet grow.