How do I keep my soil mix active without a plant in it

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by abrahamx, Jan 6, 2013.

1. #1 abrahamx, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
    I am doing Jerrys no till method in a 20 gallon container. Had great results and just chopped the plant today. I'm looking at around 5 oz's :D. Anyway I chopped today but I wont have a plant ready to go in for a few weeks or even a month. Do I keep watering? or compost tea? Just looking to keep it active/alive while I wait. This was my first organic grow and I aint never going back. Thanks for any help.
    Also I do still have a foot or so of stem and the rootball still intact. I have not removed the main stem.

2. Hello Abrahamx,

I would remove the root-ball, brew a balanced AACT, apply it with out soaking your soil. Keep in mind there is no plant in there to consume H2O so it will take much longer to dry out. Also periodicly feed with molasses and water. In essence treat your soil as though it had a plant in it.

Disclaimer: This is what I do I am not saying it is the gospel on how to treat your soil. It is what works for me.

HTH.

MGB

3. if your doing no-till you dont remove the root ball REPEAT DO NOT REMOVE THE ROOTBALL!... just chop the stem right at the bottom where it meets the soil, the microbes will break it down nd use it as food, it will add humus to your soil, you coud water with an ACT, but if you have done one recently I wouldnt think it be necessary just keep it moist

4. when you are ready to re-plant just make a little hole in the soil and pop ya plant in, if there is still some stem/roots just make the hole next to it

5. First, you have to remove the root-ball in-order to put the new root-ball in. In my case 1 gallon size.

Second, let me remind w89 of a post he made just recently " i joined couple days ago and have been reading about organic soil recipes Ive always grown hydroponic with NFT trays and coco for last 2 years, but last month i started my first test soil grow just a cheapish soil that had been been sat in the greenhouse for about a year moistened so i just chucked about 25% perlite in it and just giving water and some liquid seaweed extract and castings tea just to see how it would grow.... and im pretty happy with the ease of this style of growing. so im going to work on making a decent soil mix with all the amendments in it so i can improve my soil from the test one so all i will need to add it water and some ACT's.. so yeah thats pretty much it im just looking around the internet for ingredients and diff composts to maybe use"

Just some advice, get some experience with no-till, for that matter dirt period before you contradict folks whom have experience. By experience I don't mean by reading all the Weed World articles you speak of constantly.

Have a great day!

MGB

6. ok ignore me i dont know what im talking about

7. Jerry removes enough root ball to get a one gallon potted new plant into his no till pot. I would assume right before transplant.

... jus' sayin'..

wak

8. #8 jerry111165, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    Yep - just enough to drop the new 1 gallon plant into the existing pot.
    Works for me.

J

9. Cover Cropping is another great way to keep everyone in your soil happy, look into things like white clover, they need very little light and also form a mycorrhizae bond with the same species of fungi as cannabis.

This will also help process harder to break down elements like those found in your guano's and oyster shell flower type amendments.

One thing to keep in mind is that your going to need to water more often when you transplant a cannabis plant back into the mix, I suggest rocking a SIP for the easiest set-up cover cropping.

Just my 2 cents

HaGGarD

10. Yeeeea....no.;)

11. #11 abrahamx, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    good point, had not thought of that but dont think I have time for that really.
    Edit: Just as a general note, I have been growing since the mid 80's or so, so I am really just looking for ideas on how to manage a plantless, organic soil. thanks for all your post's so far.

12. Feed em.

Blackstrap molasses at like tablespoon per 3~5 gal, Ive also added ground rice and dried cannabis leaf, bacteria seem to love it.

Also do you have any compost or ewc remaining? Mixing some in and adding more aeration to off set will boost your sucker.

Or even and ACT or Rice Wash culture to use some anaerobic guys to break down most of your rootball.