how do i heat my attic air space for the winter to grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kayakush, Dec 18, 2012.

1. #1 kayakush, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
    hey folks,

i am planning on another grow. havent done one in the winter bcz its too cold outside and where i grow is unheated. it is a space in my attic that can be accessed thru a panel. big space. has power and a light fixture. its cold up there, basically wat it is outside. in the summer its 100. i want to know how to heat the space safely. it is large like 10x8 feet. i am out during the day and dont want my house to burn down. i also wanna have my own crop in a few months. any ideas???

2. smoke there ALL the time.

3. thanks for your productive answer.

4. What kind of lights do you use?

You could turn them on up there and see how warm it gets

5. i use a 135w LED and a lot of cfl....it would never get the room temp up, near the plant would go up, but from freezing to 70?

6. Create a smaller space that you can insulate, and more easily control. I run a room in the attic. it really works great, but I have 1600 watts in there. Stays plenty warm, and at night I use a space heater on a timer. Works really well. Also very cold where I live in the winter.

7. i dont have that many watts...maybe 250-300 tops. what kinda heater on a timer? a space heater or a radiator type. i would assume radiator would be less risk. i have to get ready soon as i started germinating. i will cut out the space and make it smaller with cardboard around the perimeter. no tent i have

8. 250-300W won't go too far. Standard small space heaters usually have hi/lo settings at 1500 and 900W, and I suspect even those might have difficulty keeping up with an uninsulated space that sits at outside temp. todder has the right idea- create an insulated sub-enclosure in your attic space.

If it still needs a heater, look for one that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over, and test that functionality (lay it down, don't push it over :D). An oscillating fan should be in there already and will help keep the heat distributed.

They also make automatic fire extinguishers that blow their load if the room gets to I'm-on-fire temperature. Another layer of insurance if you're still uncomfortable.

9. build your own tent man... few pieces of 3/4 PVC and some 3 way elbows.. walla.. hang Mylar from it or something reflective..built mine for like 15 bucks i believe... ive posted pics on GC before im sure if you search me you can find em..

10. i just might do that. the only issue is my home depot sells mylar in 500ft rolls for a big chunk a change. i was gonna ask if they would cut it for me. with the tent i can place a heater inside??? is that safe?

11. Really kayakush, I cannot stress this enough, since I just went through the same thing basically, I had to have a space heater running in my upstairs room where my tents are, no insulation up there. (Old house) I have 2 tents which makes a bit of difference, but instead of paying to run a 1500w heater, I bought a 400w mh/HPS light and hood and now I heat my grow area with 400w of heat and light that the plants can use.

Why pay money to run a heater when a light does the same with the ability to grow your plant in the first place.

Just think about it.

12. yes i know a MH/HPS would be better but how do i install it. are there versions that u just plug into an outlet? i m no electrician so i dont know how to set one up if wiring is invovled. if its plug and light i think i will go with that idea. which is a good brand. i m on amazon now.

13. Pretty much every version that you can purchase will have a cord end. The whole remote ballast and air cooled hood stuff can be intimidating. Don't let it be, all the ballasts will have a cord with an end for 220v or 110v and all hoods or light sockets have a cord that plugs into the ballast. Its super easy to hook up, and with you wanting heat, I'd even put the ballast near by for the little extra heat. You could even run bare bulb and no reflector and pry get away with it, flowering will be the worst part cause you'll be without heat for 12 hrs. Do you have a filter?

14. i do not have a filter and without heat for 12 hrs is a problem. i cant use a space heater in the dark?

15. why do i c ventilation tubing coming out of HPS?

16. Cause most people are trying to get rid of the heat the HID lights put off, your trying to harness it, but if the 12/12 schedule you'd be F'd still... hmmm.... lemme do some thinking ...

17. i could veg for 50 days and hope the weather is better out here, but i doubt it

18. You can get a very small ceramic heater. Put it on a timer for every 30 mins or so during the 12 hours of darkness. Run it outside of the tent so your not bringinf in ice cold air and trying to heat it before it gets to your babies.

19. i just ordered a 400w HPS set up. so here we go. got to get a tent made, a ceramic heater, and a timer. thanks for the help people. if i get it set up i will post it.

20. what do u mean by run it outside? keep it out of the tent?