How do I go about buying a box for shipping?

Discussion in 'General' started by blackey, Jul 10, 2012.

1. #1 blackey, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    I never used the USPS before for shipping a box. I need to get a box rather large, for a bunch of smaller boxes. When I go into the post office, do I have to actually BUY a box? I know USPS offers free shipping supplies they mail them to you, but I do not have the time to wait for that.

I know they have flat rate shipping boxes, but do I have to pay their "one low flat rate" even if I am printing my shipping lables on paypal? And the last thing I want to do is pay $15..just for a box. I have a priority mail box that I recieved my computer parts in, but I hear its illegal to re-use them? But If I use a priority mail shipping box, and ship my items by priority mail, i wont have an issue?

Or is all I have to do is go into the post office, select the box I want, and leave o_O
    Do I HAVE to buy a box at USPS? Can I just go buy a regular brown box from a paper store, slap a shipping label on it and im good to go?

2. I remember getting a huge one from Kinkos (Fedex).
    I think it was around 5 bucks.

3. I can use any box though right? I have a decent sized brown box, not dirty, or damaged. USPS wont give me shit if I try to ship an item Priority Mail, if its not in THEIR priority mail box?

4. They sell all sizes at the post office.

and yes you can use any box.

5. If you go to USPS, they have those flat rate boxes which you pick up for free and just pay when you ship them. You just pay a flat rate for however much stuff you can fit in the box as long as it's under some number of pounds.

6. You can either buy one or use a nice clean box you have.

7. Shipping boxes are free at the post office.

You can go to their web site and they will deliver them to your house for free as well.

https://www.usps.com/

8. Yeah, but I don't want to pay 10+ dollars for the "low flat rate" Because It only cost me 1.97 dollars to print my shipping label, the plain brown box I can get free, so, unless this way is not possible..I dont know. There wouldn't be any other charges at the post office when I drop the box off to be mailed would there? The shipping label is paid so, shipping should be paid..right?

9. i would just use a box you have at home to save some money and wrap what your shipping in some towels you dont want so it wont break and then tape it up well and then just ship! shipping store rapes you with rates to ship and to pack it them selfs!